Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Leak

MasterMusician

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 One Tonner
Hi all...,

i think i have a fluid loss issue with my Transmission...., (what i'm about to describe will sound like an obvious leak from the transmission, however experience has taught me not to assume anything)

for awhile after driving my car and then turning it off and exiting my car i could smell a burnt oil smell (but i couldnt locate any leaking oil) and then recently while i was driving my car i noticed smoke ? coming from under the driver side bonnet, i checked my car for fluid leaks but couldnt find any, (this phantom smoke issue kept sparactically returning, particularlly when the engine was hot)

then one day i did a quick Transmission fluid oil level check and found it was closer to the low side C marking so i decided to do a more accurate fluid level check (I drove for 25 klm, parked on level ground, left engine running, with transmission selector in park) the fluid (which can be difficult to see sometimes) was still towards the lower side of the C marking so i filled it will fluid until it was close to the H marking.

a few days later i saw a pink oil fluid stain on the ground (approx) under where the front right side Transmission sump pan is, of course my immediate thought was i have a Transmission fluid leak, i checked the sump pan bolts, they were loser then i'd have expected but i doubted they were lose enough to cause a leak, so i continued to search for other leaks, and then i found a small drop of pink fluid getting ready to drip off the right side exhaust muffler (the muffler is positioned almost exactly) under where the front right side Transmission sump pan is, i immediately thought the transmission fluid must be leaking from somewhere above the Exhaust Muffler and when the engine is hot the fluid turns into the Smoke (that sparatically comes out of driver's side bonnet) this would also explain the smell of smoke i'd smell when i exited the car) i though it all made sense until i noticed that the Power Steering pipes also run near by and if they were leaking they could be the source of my Smell-Of-Smoke, and my Pink-Ground-Stain issues...., but on inspection the Power Steering had no leak issues and it's fluid level has always remained at the full level.

yesterday i jacked the car up and degreassed the underside, looking to confirm the exact leak location..., what i found was this, somehere above where the front right side Transmission sump pan is (somewhere near the dipstick pipe ?) but i can actually pin point the actual leak because maybe there's some pipes above that i can't see, that could be leaking down onto the dipstick region ? but if the leak is coming from the dipstick region my questions are these ........

can a dipstick pipe leak oil ?

is the dipstick welded to the transmission case or is it pushed into a hole ?

if it's pushed into a hole does it have a seal, if so is it a oustside boot type seal or an inside O ring type seal ?

the fact that the car hasn't been driven for 3 days, and if fluid is still leaking from the dipstick pipe region, would this signify a major overfill ?

normally...., when car is turned off (not driven for a few days) and the Transmission has the correct amount of fluid, does all the fluid return to the sump pan or is there still some fluid within the lines, and if so is this fluid still under pressure ?

if the correct level of fluid is in the Transmission sump pan, does any of this fluid enter into the dipstick pipe region, or should a correctly filled transmission always be under the postion where the dipstick pipe joins the Transmission case ? (my logic being, does the Transmission Dipstick PIpe have a overfull-overflow release)

thanks so much everyone in advance...., i know i have gone on a bit, but i have found i always make mistakes when i make assumptions so i have tried to explain the symptoms without any bias

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The level of fluid in the sump won't change much when the car is parked, the fluid doesn't drain down Into the sump.
There could be a vent tube at the front near the filler tube that may be leaking. The transmission is probably due for a service anyway so you could get the leak looked at at the same time.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Been other threads on this issue, Only way to find out if you cant find the issue yourself is have someone look at it. Look at your cooling lines running to the radiator for splits and check that they are tight,

My 2007 VZ wagon had automatic transmission replaced at 15,000km (warranty) due to oil leaks at the front. Never did find You might even be better off just getting a rebuilt unit on a 'swap' basis out exactly what the cause was although I do suspect there may have been something faulty with the casting of the transmission housing

MasterMusician

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 One Tonner
The level of fluid in the sump won't change much when the car is parked, the fluid doesn't drain down Into the sump.
There could be a vent tube at the front near the filler tube that may be leaking. The transmission is probably due for a service anyway so you could get the leak looked at at the same time.

thank you very much for your reply

MasterMusician

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 One Tonner
Been other threads on this issue, Only way to find out if you cant find the issue yourself is have someone look at it. Look at your cooling lines running to the radiator for splits and check that they are tight,

My 2007 VZ wagon had automatic transmission replaced at 15,000km (warranty) due to oil leaks at the front. Never did find You might even be better off just getting a rebuilt unit on a 'swap' basis out exactly what the cause was although I do suspect there may have been something faulty with the casting of the transmission housing

thank you, yes i checked all the lines, the housing the sump gasket..., i would swap it for a reco, the box is very good no slipping, no nosies, but i just cant understand what's happening..., i found another strange thing today...., the fluid is 4 cm over the H when engine is cold and the fluid level drops to under the H when the engine is hot...., (trans fluid shoud expand when hot to contract, so there is something very strange going on, i have been ripped of big time twice in the past over Gearboxes, that's why i'd rather fix it myself

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
thank you, yes i checked all the lines, the housing the sump gasket..., i would swap it for a reco, the box is very good no slipping, no nosies, but i just cant understand what's happening..., i found another strange thing today...., the fluid is 4 cm over the H when engine is cold and the fluid level drops to under the H when the engine is hot...., (trans fluid shoud expand when hot to contract, so there is something very strange going on, i have been ripped of big time twice in the past over Gearboxes, that's why i'd rather fix it myself
When did it last have a filter change? sounds like you need a trip to the service center, it most have a blockage some wear or not pumping, are the hoses going the right direction? Could be collapse valves or bad solenoid .

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its not coming from the fitting on the trans cooler line that screws into at the trans end is it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be a silly question but are you testing the oil level with the engine running and in park? The manual I believe says to cycle the gears prior to dropping it in park and testing the level with the engine running.

MasterMusician

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 One Tonner
Its not coming from the fitting on the trans cooler line that screws into at the trans end is it?
i've been trying to get a good look at it but it's difficult, so i degreesed it today and two other areas.., then i tapped some paper around three suspect sites, in the morning i hope the stained paper may help me pin point the exact place...,