Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission oil

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
hey all,

im changing the oil in my trans cos it needs a service but in my service book it says that my GETRAG GM5 gearbox requires Dexron II Automatic Transmission fluid. i found this a bit wierd cos Manual gearboxes use gear oil not ATF. anyone else come across this before? im just wondering if i should put in the ATF or get gear oil for it.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i recon u better ask holden about that one

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
yea, its a bit wierd, i know the T5 Gearbox uses regular gear oil, but with the GETRAG im not sure, dont want to put the wrong oil into my box, i think ill call up holden on this topic

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
hey all,

im changing the oil in my trans cos it needs a service but in my service book it says that my GETRAG GM5 gearbox requires Dexron II Automatic Transmission fluid. i found this a bit wierd cos Manual gearboxes use gear oil not ATF. anyone else come across this before? im just wondering if i should put in the ATF or get gear oil for it.
Many modern manual gearboxes use ATF. One of the first that I know of was the Mazda 323/Ford Laser from 1982 on.
If you use the wrong grade of oil you can either get clutch run on problems or fuel consumption increase (thicker oil).
Some gear boxes cause the clutch to spin on with a light oil because of less drag.
Other gearboxes using heavy oil will cause the gears to crunch because some gears want to still keep spinning with the main shaft and the synchro can't over power the gear because the thicker oil keeps the synchro from gripping the gear to alter its speed.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
VR Series Service Manual.
TRANSMISSION
Type Five Speed Manual (Production Option M78)
BTR Engineering (Australia) Limited - T5.
Lubricant:1.90 litres Dexron® III Automatic Transmission Fluid, plus 150 ml of LUBRIZOL 7906 Additive.
Total Lubricant Capacity 2.05 litres.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
VR Series Service Manual.
TRANSMISSION
Type Five Speed Manual (Production Option M78)
BTR Engineering (Australia) Limited - T5.
Lubricant:1.90 litres Dexron® III Automatic Transmission Fluid, plus 150 ml of LUBRIZOL 7906 Additive.
Total Lubricant Capacity 2.05 litres.

Anyone know where to get this LUBRIZOL 7906 Additive from?
Local holden place never heard of it

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
ATF Dexron 3 works well with the T5 boxes,or even 95LE which is a mobile atf oil.You can run like a castrol VMX80.But i find that auto oils are thinner and work well first thing in the mornings not hard to get into gears.But on the T5's if you dont use the auto oil and oil modifier,the gear oil strips the coating on the synchro's.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sage has a VS series 11 with a Getrag GM5 gearbox.
In the Gregorys manual its referred to as a Getrag Type 260 and uses 1.7 litres of 75W - 85W gear oil.
The T5 in earlier models used Dexron and is a completely dufferent gearbox to the Getrag.