Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission pipe leak

Richard Peni

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Claias
Hi all
I have a 2008 Calais which has a leak from the transmission steel pipes connecting to the radiator at the bottom....question is there just o rings or seals that I can replace as it is only leaking from where u connect too radiator ( please Note they are the steel pipes and are Easily accessible since I took the bottom guard off too. replace seals if that’s all it is ) I have checked all other pipes and all are fine is a slow drip but a pain
Any advise would be much appreciated I took pics but it won’t let me download them on here

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes there is an O ring in each fitting. They can be a pain in the ass when they decide to leak. If you can find replacements and access them without needing to lift the radiator up you are a lucky man.
When my original radiator exploded at about 240,000ks I fitted a replacement from Autobarn. It's a good radiator but one of the orings had a defect and one of the transmission pipes was pissing oil when I installed it. Ended up pulling the old fitting off the old radiator and swapping that in. Working perfectly again but had to lift the radiator up 6 inches to get access. If you get desperate go and buy a complete radiator and just use the fittings. Keep the radiator for spare for when yours explodes which will happen sooner or later.

Richard Peni

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Claias
Yes there is an O ring in each fitting. They can be a pain in the ass when they decide to leak. If you can find replacements and access them without needing to lift the radiator up you are a lucky man.
When my original radiator exploded at about 240,000ks I fitted a replacement from Autobarn. It's a good radiator but one of the orings had a defect and one of the transmission pipes was pissing oil when I installed it. Ended up pulling the old fitting off the old radiator and swapping that in. Working perfectly again but had to lift the radiator up 6 inches to get access. If you get desperate go and buy a complete radiator and just use the fittings. Keep the radiator for spare for when yours explodes which will happen sooner or later.
Thanks for that just undone one of the pipes and coolant was coming out of the pipe is this right as when I have my car running it’s trans fluid dripping not coolant I’m a bit confused with this but I have access too both pipes without lifting radiator and at present ( knock on word )radiator is fine

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah that reminds me. You should drain the radiator before you remove the fittings. If you have surgical hands and instruments you could probably swap the orings without unscrewing the fittings, but realistically it will be better to drain it, unscrew it and change the O ring on the bench where you can see what you are doing.

Richard Peni

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Claias
Yeah that reminds me. You should drain the radiator before you remove the fittings. If you have surgical hands and instruments you could probably swap the orings without unscrewing the fittings, but realistically it will be better to drain it, unscrew it and change the O ring on the bench where you can see what you are doing.
Thanks mate much appreciated