Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission problem

banjos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Gidday all, l am the new owner of a ve lpg international 4 speed and have only done about 3000 kms so far. I'm not up to speed with a lot of the mech talk but the problem is when driving along at approx' 65/75 km's the transmission goes into o/d, then when you back off a little this low rumble noise like a droning sound starts and its sounds like the car is wanting to change down.
After taking it along for its first service, I was told it was something to do with the converter lockup happening too soon. I asked if there had been many reports of this happening and they said I was only the second one they had heard off. The problem had shown itself in 08 makes but they thought they had fixed the problem in the 09 make, apparently holden are working on the problem but it could take about two months to come up with the program to change how the transmission reacts. On calling the dealership the other day I was told that other dealers had tried other fixes but with little joy and were waiting for the program. So the question is, are holden selling these cars knowing the tranny has a problem, and they will get around to fixing it when they can, in the meantime you can drive it in the sports mode, which will stop the problem, so I have been advised.
sorry its a long post
thanks

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
gday mate.

if I'm not mistaken, your tranny is the 4l60e .

in the middle east, we got the SS with the 4L65e. wich is almost the same but with improved clutches and some gear stuff that I can't understand :whistling

anyway, the tranny program is running great, so you might want to ask about that.

if the big 6.0L is running ok on the 4-speed, the lpg should be running even better

I don't know whats my point, but I hope I helped :p

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
So the question is, are holden selling these cars knowing the tranny has a problem?
thanks

If a complaint or problem comes up while the car model is being produced and delivered, that only gets reported after the cars get delivered, i dont think it is enough of a reasonable reason to stop production of the car to get the problem rectified if it does not compromise safety. Just think how annoyed you would be if the delivery of your car got delayed by two months?

If Holden are working on a software upgrade then you will have to wait until that is released to rectify the concern. You will not have to pay for this software upgrade and its a far cry better than Fords effort with the Territory and Falcon, knowing that brake hoses were manufactured inadequately, yet not ordering a recall, even after many accidents as a result.

banjos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Thanks for the replies fellas, and yes Sabbathss l can appreciate what your saying and yes at least we should have the problem fixed soon. But as I was told they thought they fixed the problem for the 09 makes so one wonders how much testing they actually do or are we testing the cars for them.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Thanks for the replies fellas, and yes Sabbathss l can appreciate what your saying and yes at least we should have the problem fixed soon. But as I was told they thought they fixed the problem for the 09 makes so one wonders how much testing they actually do or are we testing the cars for them.

I dont think it's a case of testing the cars for them, more of the case of not being able to stop the cars from being produced with the old, allegedly faulty, software parameters in it and sold on. All they can do is flag it as a customer satisfaction style revision and the cars which need to be will be fixed at the next service when the programming is finished, or if you go into a dealership at a time after they've completed the programming they will reflash the ECU for you there and then.