Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Problem! :(

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
g'day fellas, something weird has being happening to my transmission over the last week. Anyway bought this car 6 months back and had a transmission service done, car has been running fine since, done approx 8000 - 9000 kms. Last weekend i was sitting at the lights and saw smoke coming out of the engine bay, so i pulled over. Noticed that there was transmission fluid pissing out of the dipstick tube and that the dip stick was out. Thought nothing of it (thought that i forgot to put dipstick back), checked the fluid, it was at a fine level. Kept driving. When i made it home that day, same thing happened at my driveway. I started getting worried ( at this point fluid was getting frothy) so i ran down to supercrap spent $85 and grabbed 8 litres of transmission fluid and a filter/gasket. changed the fluid and flushed out torque converter. ran fine for a week.

the car has just over 200 clicks on the clock with a full service history, hasnt been thrashed and hasnt been overfilled with transmission fluid!

Here i am again with the same issue! the car is just sitting in the front yard, scared to take it anywhere pissing oil out of the dipstick like vomit (mind you the dipstick is locked in also!. Not sure whats going on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
pretty sure they had a recal back in the day fpr this issue, check the breather pipe fpr blockagage.....also ring holden and see if it was fixed in the recall....if not they may check it for free....this is providing it is that issue and not a different one

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
how does one get to this breather? can i just put some wire through it to clean it up?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Mate I had the same problem 2-3 weeks ago. Popped the bonnet, bonnet lining was on fire and also tranny oil in the chassis rail on fire. Glad I carry an extinguisher.
That was the 3rd time it had happened. Previous 2 times I only had to wipe tranny oil off engine and components.

I have been checking tranny oil level daily. It appears to have stopped coughing up oil.

Can anyone help with the breather pipe location if it is a blockage. (going to the Gregorys now).

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey fellas, after a good week of searching around, i turned back to the last thing that was done to the car, and that was the LPG installation. i followed the breather line from the top of the transmission and realised that the f*ck head gas installers put a metal plate underneath screwed into the chassis rail to protect the gas lines with the breather hose trapped between the plate and the chassis rails with some self tapper screws screwed into. I cracked the absolute Sh*t at the guys, so they paid for a full transmission service and said they'd be accountable to any damage caused to the transmission for the next 12 months as part of the warranty. Shes all up and running again as if nothing happened :)

basically if fluid pisses out of the dipstick, it comes down to the the breather is somehow blocked...

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anyone help with the breather pipe location if it is a blockage. (going to the Gregorys now).

not sure if you know the location of the breather, anyways, i managed to find it and also incase someone down the track wants the location of the breather. its basically on the drivers side of the transmission near the top.
IMG_2909.jpg

mine had a rubber hose extending off of this metal pipe. You can see if from the engine bay on the V6 ecotecs if you have a peak from the passenger side. its the only thing sticking out of the tranny on that side.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
imrhoss, thanks very much for the photo.

Now does anyone know if the hose comes off? I don't want to go and poke wire into the hose pushing crap into the transmission. Might go have a look now anyway.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it does mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
glad its all good mate... just wanted to add that a while back I did a tranny service and didn't have the filter in properly and it dislodged into the sump. The o-ring came out when I pulled the old filter out (unbelievable!!!) and I didn't tap it in securely (idiot!). The 'trany' fluid subsequently exploded out the dipstick and there was a brief fire on the header (caught in the nick of time with a heart rate of 300bpm). A tad dramatic but just thought id add that experience!