Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission problem

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Serviced my auto transmission yesterday on the 2012 ve ss. New filter and new fluid.

However, I'm worried I've either underfilled it or overfilled it, as shifting gears doesn't feel very smooth. Going from 1st to 2nd I get a bit of a knock back and revs go a little high before it switches. 2nd to 3rd and so on isn't as noticeable.

So I did the basics, drop pan, replace filter and gasket, put pan back on, get the trans temp up to about 35 degrees, pump in fluid until it trickles. Then I also added half a litre extra fluid since that seems to be what everyone does in the threads I've read on here.

So I'm wondering have I overfilled it, is that what is causing the issue?

Or could I potentially have underfilled it? Since I don't have a hoist, and I only have 2 jack stands, I only raised the front of the car, so could the trickle have been premature coz it was on an angle?

Any advice appreciated thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
assuming 6 speed auto and dex VI
get to around 50 degrees and jack car up level and recheck fluid level
do not add extra fluid
if problem persists, check filter installed fully

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Did you run through all gears a few times after filling, then check the level again

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Had same problem

Last edited:

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
So I got the car as level as I possibly couod, trans temp to 50, shifted through gears, then loosened the drain plug.

About 500ml came out until it started trickling. I put a fresh 200ml to potentially accomodate for the "lack of levelness".

Now instead of the car excessively revving before going into the next gear, it only revs a tiny bit, but know I get a knock back.

Any ideas? Should I take out that extra 200ml? Or is it underfilled?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The 500ml extra is for T56 and TR6060 transmissions only.

It shouldn't play up only 200ml overfull but the car NEEDS to be level.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Furyfire when you changed the transmission oil filter, did you remove and replace the seal?

Haven’t done an auto service but supposedly the filter seal is a pain to remove and easy to scratch the alloy it sits in if you don’t have the correct tools/technique. If you scratch the alloy, the pump can suck air past the seal which isn’t ideal... Guess that’s why some choose to not bother to remove and replace these seals. But if you don’t change the filter seal, depending on how long it’s been in the transmission, it may have gone hard due to heat, in which case it may also not seal well and suck air...

This kit includes a filter seal.

So something more than fluid level to consider ;)

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Thanks guys.

Arghh I didnt replace the seal. I really hope that's not the issue, as dropping the pan and replacing the filter and gasket with a Ryco one was a pain.

I'll try letting out that extra 200ml in case it is still overfilled. If that doesn't work guess I'll drop the pan

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So I got the car as level as I possibly couod, trans temp to 50, shifted through gears, then loosened the drain plug.

About 500ml came out until it started trickling. I put a fresh 200ml to potentially accomodate for the "lack of levelness".

Now instead of the car excessively revving before going into the next gear, it only revs a tiny bit, but know I get a knock back.

Any ideas? Should I take out that extra 200ml? Or is it underfilled?
You should stop filling at 50 c. Not start filling at 50.c.
Possibly, not enough fluid? Sounds like it may need another 3 - 400 mls?

Then there is how level the bottom of the tranny is?
All very important considerations.

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
@Lex
I agree, I'm not expert, but I'm pretty sure, rough shifting is a sign of underfilled rather than overfilled.

Anyway, I'll try to get it as level as possible this time and measure with a meter. Then either add or empty some fluid accordingly.

If it's not the fluid and potentially the seal as mentioned above, anyone know where I can source just the seal? As I've already replaced the filter and gasket, I don't want to spend more cash on a whole set. Although, I don't think the problem lies with the seal as prior to changing fluid and filter the transmission was pretty perfect. I just changed them as routine maintenance

Also thanks a lot guys, really help the advice and help