Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Selection Help.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Gurus,

Down the track (after I win lotto at this rate) I'll be replacing the engine and transmission in my faithful VH SL. At the moment shes mostly standard with 202, trimatic. I've already swapped the diff for a 10 Bolt and installed a tail shaft to suit. I have a HDT 304 out of a VK (B Cast heads, Flat tops, 955 manifold, quaddie, may be cammed and rolled rockers to) which is going in and, up until recently, I was thinking about a TH700, 4l60 from a VN mainly because I don't want any wiring complications or harnesses to deal with. Really the only reason for this selection is because it was suggested to me by a friend and I know little to nothing at all about a good choice so I kind of ran with it.

My only criteria for a transmission is that I would like 4 speeds, minimal electronics and minimal heartaches for installation. I would also like to fit a shifter to it (B&M, Hurst) purely for looks. Not much more. I've wanted one for years and this might be the only chance to fit one. Everything else is optional. I occasionally go on long drives so I want something that will cruise well on the highway with reasonable economy.

What I would like is other peoples opinions for any more suitable candidates if any. If you think that the standard trimatic will suffice but with a gear ratio change, discuss. What about stall converters? Will stock ones do? This combo will be in my daily driver but would like to stretch the legs every now and then. No drags or track days though. Just like being pushed back in my seat and scaring the missus.

The block is a trimatic pattern (obviously) so I'm aware that an adapter may be required depending on the box. Please let me know what you think or if more information is needed. I've always got my ear to the ground about parts I'm after for this car so the sooner I know exactly what I'm looking for the better.

Thanks all.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Gday, t700 has a electronic speedo. (i think). why not go for t350-t400?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
not to mention the fact that turbo trans will not fit an aussie pattern... i think your block will decide for you. im pretty sure theat all VK 308's had aussie/trimatic pattern.

stock trimatics are great boxes, much lighter than turbo 400's. good for up around 300HP and rebuilt for about 400. stall converter depends on your cam. no need to change ratios in the box, just get a diff to suit the cam.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
What would be the benefits of a t350-t400 over TH700?

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So trimatic sounds like the least amount of heartache. Is there a difference from the 6 cyl to 8cyl ones? When someone says ä shift kit has been installed"what havey they actually had done to the operation of the box?

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
trimatic v8 are alright. 6 cyl trimatic won't fit on to v8 block.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Had a t700 in my vb once setup right it was so nice to drive especially sitting at 1750rpm at 100kph. speedo is a piece of piss just unscrew the transducer off the box and buy a speedo cable to suit th400 in early commo readily available due to the fact vb/c had them. I have a diagrams on how to setup the throttle valve cable (kickdown) follow that and she will be sweet. some people will tell you you need to wire up something to activate the convertor lockup but every transhop i spoke to said its not a problem if you run a decent aftermarket cooler it will not effect the box at all and i never did.
physically you will need to use a custom trans crossmember and also notch the small chasis rail about 10mm from the crossmember forward un till it tapers out as the pan will hit not hard to do just need a grinder and a mig.

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 420
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,365

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet thanks. Is the TH700 that different to the T700? I'm lead to believe one is electronic and the other isn't. Forgive my ignorance I just don't know any better.