Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission selector shaft seal

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Hi all...anyone ever replace the selector shaft seal on a vs commodore auto? I have the seal....but need to k ow if it's a matter of off with pan...remove linkage and then seal etc.

I have read that you need to remove allot of the internals to do it and then read it's easy as. Before I go to do it was wondering if anyone's done it.

I've done every other seal you can think on on these cars over the years but never this one haha

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check out the instructions in the files attached below from the Holden VS Service Manual. If you need further instructions on adjusting the gearshift linkage or neutral start and backup lamp switch as mentioned in sections 3.5.13 and 3.5.14 let me know. They are in the VR manual which is more tricky to access/print.

Attachments

• VS auto 3.5 Manual Shaft Seal.pdf
    245.5 KB · Views: 460
  • VR-VS Auto 3.2 Selector Linkage.jpg
    VR-VS Auto 3.2 Selector Linkage.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 926

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Black VXGTS.

No disrespect here whatsoever, but over time many new tools are invented to reduce job time and make the job far more efficient money-wise. These newer tools weren't around when these manuals were written.

As such I did mine and it took all of 2 minutes. The biggest part was to remove the shifter linkage off the selector shaft by just undoing the retaining nut.

Buy yourself the following tool and you'll never have to buggerise around with anything internally within the trans.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Selector-Shaft-Seal-Tool-T-E-Tools-6755-NEW-Capacity-1-2-to-11-16/263017548258?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I had mine back together and no leakage and mess under the car whatsoever.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
No offence taken. Thanks for the post - no substitute for experience.

Probably worth including in the Commodore How-To's Forum.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Thanks guys.

Well as said i have done every other seal on these cars over the years besides this one.

I just finished serviceing the trans so i had the pan off anyway. Was actually easy with pan off...however that tool mentioned would have made it even quicker espesially if you didnt need to service the trans

The links helped allot so thankyou.... BlackVXGTS

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
In saying all of the above, the actual seal is rather costly to say the least.