Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission shake

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
Has anyone else had their auto gear stick shake back and forth while driving in D ?
Even more in 3rd. Doesn't change out of gear but makes fair bit of noise (rattleing). Haven't moded trans in any way, cars been looked afta well and only done 131000kms. (Series II 1997)
I've been told that VS's have solenoid controlled changes not band.
Any help appreciated.:thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd imagine there is something wrong inside the auto gearstick selector housing - when you select a gear, a pin positively locks the T bar in place so that it shouldn't wobble in any direction at all...unless the spring behind the lock has failed or the bushes at the base of the T bar are shot. Can you move the selector when stationary? Other than that the only thing I can think of is the rear engine mount at the back of the trans....though my VS11 is similar mileage and mounts are good as new. Also cannot see how a problem in the auto trans could feed back to the T bar (maybe try readjusting the selector)

The 4L60E trans has solenoids which operate valves in the valve body - the valves direct fluid (under high pressure) to the servos which clamp the bands. ...the idea is that by electronically changing gears via the solenoids, the ECU can better select the most suitable gear and give smoother changes and better economy.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
cheers for reply's, going to check the engine mounts next as haven't checked them before.. also forgot to say gear lever doesn't shake when accelerating but does when coasting along and braking (worse when braking)
The selector can be moved when stationary *like to another gear* but doesn't wobble. Gearbox trans fluid is fine not burnt, and still red.
Thanks again for u're help! :thumbsup: