Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Swap (Compatibility)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys.

As some of you know my transmission is shagged.

Its a Series I VS with a 6HDD trans.

Now I have a wrecker who has a 8HDD and claims its from a VS and will fit a VS but upon researching the 8HDD appeared to be from a VT.

Can anyone confirm this? and I assume if it is from a VT it won't go straight into a VS.

Also can anyone confirm which box's will work as a replacement for a 6HDD.

Thanks

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have a VY transmission in my VS and it all bolted up fine.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah the bell housings are different. With the VS Transmission, you can't remove the bell housing because its part of the Transmission, with later models, you can remove the bell housing because it is separate to the Transmission. You may need to use the different brackets that bolt to the side of the engine and then the bottom bell housing bolts go into it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah the bell housings are different. With the VS Transmission, you can't remove the bell housing because its part of the Transmission, with later models, you can remove the bell housing because it is separate to the Transmission. You may need to use the different brackets that bolt to the side of the engine and then the bottom bell housing bolts go into it.

Ah I see.

Would ideally like something that is a straight swap as I will be picking the trans up next weekend then taking it to a mechanic to be fitted the day after and don't want to be paying extra for mucking around (just don't have the time to do it myself, and I only have jackstands which from past experience is too much effort for a trans swap)

If anyone could confirm if the 8HDD is a straight swap that would be great, if not I will try and source another 6HDD

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Oh ok, yeah it would be better to get more opinions first. I have only done it once, but someone else might have more info on it.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Get the 8HDD internals swapped into your 6HDD... Then you're laughing :rofl2:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Get the 8HDD internals swapped into your 6HDD... Then you're laughing :rofl2:

Hmm, think that will end up costing me more than just sourcing another 6HDD box.

Think I will just search for a 6HDD

Got a reply email from the one selling the trans, the 8HDD was from a Series 3 VS

g00gz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro

The OHDD's had a removable bellhousing - which were from a 2000 model VS. I am not sure at what exact year holden did introduce the removable bell housing during their VS models, but it was done during the VS lineup.

The first letter i.e 6, 7, 8 etc etc relates to what year it is i.e. a 6HDD is from a 96 Model, 0HDD is a 2000 model etc etc

The VS transmission were significantly 'beefed' up between their release in 96 and end in 2000. When you compare them side by side (6HDD to a 0HDD for example) everything on the OHDD is bigger, especially the torque converters. This is why there is such a high demand (thus high wrecker price) for VS transmissions - but namely the 6HDD's, because they were weak and everyone keeps killing them. By the time the VT came out Holden had sorted it and thats why there is basically no demand for VT transmissions.

In relation to changing VS transmissions between various build years, there are 2 differences: the belllhousings and computers. All VS ones have 13 pins, but if you put an incorrect one in (transmission that is) the computer will go into limp mode. From my understanding its the memcal which causes this, so why buying a different 'yeared' trans get the computer from that car aswell.

Secondly - as mentioned the bellhousings are different, so you'll just have to compare them side by side to see if it will fit.

As far as internals go, there is nothing (from my experience) that stops an 9HDD for example being used in a 6HDD' car..

Regards,

Michael
Auswide Spares