Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission transfer

Matty b vn commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive.
Ok so I'm switching over transmissions in my 95" v6 vs auto tomorrow. Got my brother helping me who is pretty mechanically minded and has done transfers on vl and vk's before bit I just wanted to know for myself what I'm in for and if anyone knows any good and easy tricks. Really appreciated guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Are both transmissions the same?

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
piece of cake to change have to drop the exhaust, driveline etc out though... don't know of any other 6hdd around??

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I did a 6HDD swap on my VS a couple of years ago, pretty straight forward

going off memory:
* Get car up nice and high
* drop the exhaust, I took mine off from the extractors all the way to the tailpipe, the whole system came off (was just easiest that way as none of mine was flanged)
* Remove the torque converter inspection plate
* undo the trans cooler lines into the transmission
* drain the transmission (I removed the sump, drained it and put it back on, this relieves a lot of weight and stops a lot of mess)
* remove the entire tailshaft as one piece (from the transmission back to the diff) (you may also need to undo the handbrake cable to get this out)
* undo the torque converter to flexplate bolts by slowly rotating the engine from the harmonic balancer bolt (this is easiest with 2 people)
* undo the transmission bellhousing to engine bolts
* unclip and remove the large wiring harness plug from the top of the transmission, also disconnect the breather hose at the very top and the speed sensor plug
* slide trans back and drop out of car (this will be fkn heavy, be warned)
* whack the new one in (using the correct torque converter installation method, search the forums for this as I can't be bothered typing it out)

Repeat the process to put it all back together