Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission trouble

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
i have a auto trans and while driving along the freeway the other day my engine revs went throught the roof now my transmission has gone funny now when i put my foot on the excelerator the engine revs up and the car slowly starts to move and its making a strange noise near where the engine jions the gear box i have been told that it may be the bands slipping or some filter is blocked but it feels like the engine isnt turning the gears i think it may be the tourque converter but i have no idea and would rather not buy something if the whole box has died what would be my best option

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
atm the fluid is over full i was told that may a issue i was also told it may be the filter i was told the bands are slipping but also told there isnt any in a vr bos but to me it sounds like the torqe converter is gone cause when it started it was like something just let go all of a sudden and feels like the box disconnected from the motor but it still runs but takes a bit to get up speed

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Overfull fluid shouldn't cause an instant failure at a guess. Have you checked for error codes yet as transmission fault codes are also logged there. The car is probably in Limp Home Mode - stays in 3rd gear with other gears available if manually selected.
Most common failure is the sunshell to fail - but any mechanical failure in the auto means that tiny shards of metal from the failure are now circulating in the oil and just fixing the problem is no guarantee that it won't fail again pretty soon - full overhaul is usually the only real fix but can cost more than the car is worth, which is why most will opt for a second hand auto from a wrecker.
Here is a link to a site with explanations of common failures:FYI 4L60E common problems / failures - Impala SS Forum
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
i spoke to a mechanic today and he said that if the gearbox was stuffed it wouldnt run i checked error messages and nothing but he told me that it will be a electrical issue more likely the computer since i have had a few other small elec issues before this and since there isnt any error messages logged it points to the com which is a whole lot cheaper than a gear box

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
mine does the same thing. i was told it was the bands. getting it rebuilt with all the good parts as soon as i have the money.

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
apparently vr boxes dont have bands they are controled by a solinoid but i could be wrong

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
still have a second gear band and clutch packs for the other gears just have electronic solinoids to change the gears instead of all hydraulic valvebody like the T700 vn-vp box but apart from the electronics its really the same box

buster1192

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
redcv6 id recommend goint to the link hako posted as i noticed that according to the link The transmission is on the same fuse as the MAF, O2 sensors and at least one other sensor - if an O2 shorts out, it will blow the fuse and the trans will go into limp-home mode. when i checked today i got Code 13 - Oxygen Sensor (O2) - No Signal and now its got me wondering