Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Vibration

ss_0195

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
I recently brought a series 2 vt with a LS1 and it has a vibration coming from the transmission I think . i had a 98 mdl 5ltr witch i smashed so i swapped out the tailshaft thinking it could be a uni or a center bearing and it still has this vibration. it only does this after driving for 10 minutes or so and only when cruising and backing off ,it disappears under acceleration. the transmission shifts fine. according to the tag under the bonnet it is a M30.
Any help would be appreciated

One other question as well, both the 98 and 2000 vt tags say that the transmission is a M30 even though one is a Ls1 and one is a 5.0ltr are they the same or is the bolt pattern on the bellhousing different ,if so are the bellhousings interchangeable like older transmissions e.g trimatic.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Have you checked the engine mounts?

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
As above, I'd be inclined to think it's either the engine mounts are saging / cracked, or the transmission mounts are sagging / cracked.
Worth a look before swapping out the gear box.

ss_0195

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
No i hav'nt but was thinking that the other day and I dont know of a way to check them without installing new ones i did check to see if the engine lifts on one side when reving the engine and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. i also thought it might be the gearbox mount also .its strange that it dosnt make this vibration until it has warmed up .
thanks for the quick responce pablo if you know a way to test the engine mounts please let me know

mattw1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Olympic Edition
I have this exactly. Not driveshaft or engine mounts. Definitely transmission. When accelerating it goes away and when I flick it into neutral it goes. It isn't always there. Time of day has a lot to answer for. Would love any help.