Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission

dave20089

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5 speed wagon
Hey guys my trany doesn't go into gear propley until it walms up
basicly trannyslams it's self into gear is my Trany stuffed ??

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
could be, but might not. have you checked the fluid level at all? if its a bit too much over or under it can cause lots of problems for your tranny. also how long since your last transmission service? if its been a while i would suggest you get a fluid and filter change done on it and add some additive called 'lucas transmission fix'. its bludy good stuff trust me, fixed my transmission problems up within a week. it retails for about $20 at repco and super cheap auto. thats just my suggestion you try before you write off your transmission and spend hundreds on another one. anyway mate, good luck with it :thumbsup:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If his details are correct, it is a manual.

If this is true, it's ####ed. Get it to a mechanic.

seanoooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim 3.8 wagon
could be, but might not. have you checked the fluid level at all? if its a bit too much over or under it can cause lots of problems for your tranny. also how long since your last transmission service? if its been a while i would suggest you get a fluid and filter change done on it and add some additive called 'lucas transmission fix'. its bludy good stuff trust me, fixed my transmission problems up within a week. it retails for about $20 at repco and super cheap auto. thats just my suggestion you try before you write off your transmission and spend hundreds on another one. anyway mate, good luck with it :thumbsup:
hi all i recently had to replace transmission pan after hit small stump and hole in pan, i was away from home so could not do myself , so took to garage , they fixed . but now when cold it revs thru the gears till car gets hot , i have checked fluid when hot and seems full, so checked when cold and it seems overfull. do you think that might be the problem and if so , can i get the fluid out thru the dip stick tube??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you check the fluid with the engine running and in park after cycling the gears? Best way to drain some fluid is remove the top trans line to the rad, start the engine and let 1L pump out. Pop the hose back on and check the level. You will need two people as you will need to shut the engine off pretty quick.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to check the level of the fluid when the trans is hot. The cold level is only used when you are filling the trans.

You haven't been very clear on your problem. You said it changes OK when the trans is cold. What does it do, or not do, when the trans is hot? Be very specific in your description. For example, when hot will not change out of ??? gear, only changes at WOT (wide open throttle) and so on. Also say what happens when you change gears manually.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Don't run with the transmission overfull- it will overheat due to fluid churning, the fluid will quickly burn to brown and smell of burnt caramel.
I do partial fluid changes on mine with one of those 7L marine oil change vacuum extractors , the smaller sucker tube fits down the dipstick and if the tranny is warm it's readily evacuated. Like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7L-Oil-...653584&hash=item214093b1d3:g:MjYAAOSwHI5brDt6
I also filed roughness onto my dipstick so I could easily see the oil level-it's pretty hard to see with fresh fluid on polished steel.
Once you are satisfied with the oil level, measure how much you extract and don't put in more than you take out.

Last edited:

seanoooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim 3.8 wagon
hi all i recently had to replace transmission pan after hit small stump and hole in pan, i was away from home so could not do myself , so took to garage , they fixed . but now when cold it revs thru the gears till car gets hot , i have checked fluid when hot and seems full, so checked when cold and it seems overfull. do you think that might be the problem and if so , can i get the fluid out thru the dip stick tube??

thanks for the advice i might look at some of that stuff what is its action? , i been testing the transmission last few days , so when its cold the transmission is slipping, but if i start the engine and go thru the gears reverse etc, and it seems to shorten the time the transmission is slipping,[ a few min] i prev drained a litre then put back in when i saw the level where allready correct, so im nearly sure its not the fluid levels, the service done included new filter and oil[i hope]. has me stumped , the transmission was fine before i had the work on it. i took back and they checked everything and found nothing. but that was midday and the car had run in morning.?? i dont know its a weird problem. thank to all the good people on here giving advice. brotherhood.