Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission

VS V6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1
hi ive got a problem with my trans (6HDD)it will not change into 3rd or forth!i can take off in (D) without any problems or noises changes smooth but gets to 3rd and its like nuetral nothink there everythink else is ok but i cant keep doing 100kms in 2nd as ill blow it up can anyone help me please

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hello and welcome to j/c
hi ive got a problem with my trans (6HDD)it will not change into 3rd or forth!i can take off in (D) without any problems or noises changes smooth but gets to 3rd and its like nuetral nothink there everythink else is ok but i cant keep doing 100kms in 2nd as ill blow it up can anyone help me please

check the colour of the trans oil.
If it is black then it may be a internal trans problem

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
This link: 4l60e Problems and Solutions - S-10 Forum says: 6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. R&R. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.
Doesn't sound too good. Welcome to the forum.

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
Just recently had the exact same problem and it turned out to be the clutch, like hako said, check your fluid.. If it looks or smells "burnt" then it's most likely the clutch.... Geeze there seems to be a lot of people having trans problems at the moment lol

VS V6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1
Kerbstomp what did u get done to fix this problem and thanks for your help guys looks like 2011 is gona be just like 2010 crap then

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
Still in the process of getting it sorted... Rebuild for the box was quoted at $1950 but don't really have this sort of cash spare so I'm looking around for a 2nd hand transmission (around $500 from what I can gather) and will have a crack at fitting it myself.. Every year seems to start off with car problems for me too haha

VS V6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1
hi guys my car is booked in tomorrow with my boss friend i should be able to tell you whats wrong with it in the next 2 days oh and my my boss is gona pay for it aswell awsome ,his friend said it could be some solinoid ($200) sorry for the spelling! but needs to take the pan of to look at something 1st or the auto has **** its self!! got a quote about ($700) supply an fit so not to bad ay

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yeah the 3/4 shift solenoid could go or have somehting jammed in valve i suppose
but unlikely without shift solenoid code and the filter is before the solenoid in oil flow so something inside box disintegrated and stuck in there

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
If you're willing to give it a go, rebuild kits from the US are pretty cheap for these trans. Not really a hard job if you have a decent set of tools and take your time.

I've got a rebuild kit turning up for a T700 in the next day or too and was quite surprised at how easy they are to work on. If you're doing it yourself you can even spend the money you save on putting in a shift kit or some other goodies.