Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Hey, now today car overheated pulled over to have a look and I couldn't see anything around engine bay area but there was massive amounts of coolant on the floor wtf i thought.

Searched around and found that top left corner of the transmission (where the gasket is) is pissing out coolant I'm like wtf cos I checked the trans dipstick but no coolant was present.

So I thought about it and couldn't think of a logical explanation but radiator leak/trans cooler but that theory went out the door cos of no coolant on dipstick.

Car is undrivable cos it dumps all the water in a matter of seconds(It's just like a burst water hose) and makes the car overheat.

I need help lol anyone got any ideas?

Edit: It's a auto Vt btw

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Theres welch plugs at the rear of both heads that could be leaking.And theres an alloy plate at the rear of the engine in behind the transmission bellhousing that can corrode and leak coolant.The transmission has to come out if its this plate is leaking coolant..

P

poppva1

There has also been many small bug fixes and tweaks on the back-end to improve the speed and reliablity of all the supported applications

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
The welch plugs and the rear main alloy plate are not the cause of the leak, it's coming from the trans gasket, top left corner. The RMS plate was replaced due to a rear seal leak so that's definitely not it.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
There has also been many small bug fixes and tweaks on the back-end to improve the speed and reliablity of all the supported applications

It is amazing, you are saying what I am thinking even before I think it!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if there's coolant on the floor of the car, then your heater core is leaking
that would also account for the coolant dripping from your transmission. The heater/air con box drain tube exits from the trans tunnel above the transmission. So it's probably dripping on the trans and running down the side.

heater core replacement is a dash out job. Short term solution is to disconnect your heater hoses until you get it fixed

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
I was under the impression that there is no gasket between the transmission bellhousing and the engine as it isn't a sealed area? The only things back there that would be leaking from the engine are the above mentioned plate and welsh plugs. However I'm way more likely to agree with Darren_L, definitely sounds like the heater core is leaking and dumping the coolant out the drain pipe.

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
There is no gasket between engine and transmisssion, it is leaking from the transmission sump gasket. That was my inital check after seeing no coolant around engine area, but not a single drop of moisture around heater core area.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
If there is coolant leaking out your transmission sump gasket then it must be mixed with transmission fluid. If that's the case then the likely cause is the radiator has had a fault inside, I think the tanks inside can crack or something allowing the trans fluid and coolant to mix... The leak may have been caused from the overheat. - Coolant mixing with oil would cause it to overheat, Had this happen to me before but not in a holden.

If that's going on your need to dump and thoroughly flush all your oil, trans fluid and coolant. Especially the transmission.

Good luck.