Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transplants

6nick6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 2.0
Hi all ive got a Rb20e 1987 berlina and ive been thinking about repowering it, the project would be a long way off but that doesnt stop me from dreaming. Ive been researching mods and i think the best options for me would be to put a rb20det, rb25de with VVT or rb25det in it. This car would be my daily driver so im keen on keeping fuel consumption low which is why the rb20det and rb25de with VVT appeals to me most, i have completely ruled out rb30. I was wondering what you guys reckon would be the best way to go, personally i reckon the rb25 with vvt because it'd give me more torque than the rb20det ( wouldnt it?) and still be fairly quick and cheap on gas as its not turbo but what do you guys think? Also what would be the cheapest if i did labour myself except maybe wiring?

Also if anyone could give me links of anyone that has done one of these transplants and documented it step by step that would be great because im keen to see how much work is needed for the transplants.

Thanks ill try remember to put some pics of my car up later to give you all something to look at,

cheers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dunno why you think the 20 is more fuel than 25, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

i agree on dropping the RB30, they are a cheap copy and a ballbag of an engine. dont bother with the NA RB, they are junk too. unless you are talking about 34 engines (vvt) and then you are talking big dollars.

bang for your buck DET is always better, and remember if you drive under 3k rpm then you are driving a NA car, cos' turbo only really works from 2500 to 7000.

RB25's hold their own but after all that my fav is still the RB20. i think they are just a really neat engine. same block size and smaller bores/pistons, the ceramic bearings are prone to failure at high boost tho, so maybe source the BB type from silvia or 34. DONT get the red top version, get a late one from a R32 GTsT 93 model. more likely to have less kms and better engine all round.

front cuts for 32 gtst are $1600 atm and that will get you all you need, loom etc and a working engine. i dunno bout' the boxes tho, but a little birdy told me that you can fit up a trimatic to a jap spec RB, but they may be false-i-pants-es.

fianl note between 25's and 20's ... i have had 4 skylines with 20's, 1 with 25 and one 25DE. the 25's have been pigs of engines, but the 20's have always held their end of the bargain. from standard they produce something like 30KW less than 25's and i think that is why they seem to hold up better. and wow, you can get some power out of them with a bit of fuel/boost/exhaust got my white one dyno'd at the 2001 auto salon and got 180kw at the wheels.

not bad for a 2 ltr hey?

6nick6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 2.0
Hey thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. I just sorta thought as the 25 is a bigger engine it would use more fuel but i guess I'm wrong on that one. There does tend to be a large amount of rb20's around so i guess that's a plus when looking for modifications and spare parts. I didn't know the two had the same size block! that's pretty awesome. I'm leaning towards a rb20 now and would try get a later model like you said with low km's or a rebuild.