Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transponder locked in car

Kaesark

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 sv6
Jumped into the 2017 VF this morning and got a message saying remote not recognized. Pushed the start button and she fired up so didn't think anymore. Jumped out of the car and the car doors locked with the remote inside. So I'm guessing the remote battery is getting flat.
Anyone had this issue as normally the doors wont lock if remote not in car.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I've heard that sometimes it will lock in the car esp if there is outside interference.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I never knew it was possible for the car to be locked with a remote in the 'bowl' inside the car. There would normally be a message on the centre display in the instruments to the effect that the remote battery is flat. When this happens, the car will lock and unlock, but not start. First port of call then is to swap out the battery in the remote with a new one, lock-unlock a couple of times and that should do it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the keyless(push button start) system works in 2 ways in the vf...
one being "pkes" which transmits data between the key and the vehicle and that requires a battery in the key.
the other way is the older "rfid" type that does not require a battery but the key must be close to the vehicles receiver on order to work.

you can start the vehicle with no pkes or "no battery" in the key but if the pkes is not active and the key is not close enough to the rfid receiver then the vehicle will not know the key is in the vehicle.

most early pkes systems are dumb and will not transmit battery status information so all you will get is "remote not detected" as an indicator that the battery is going flat or if there is some outside interference on the 433mhz bandwidth.

with pkes remotes just change the battery about every 1~2 years.

if you do end up with a dead battery and you cant unlock the vehicle just use the key blade and unlock the vehicle and the alarm will sound...
if push button start put the key near the center console and start it and that will stop the alarm and allow you to drive.
if the vehicle is not push button start just put the key in the ignition and start it.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
if push button start put the key near the center console and start it and that will stop the alarm and allow you to drive.

Do you mean to say put the remote in the slot inside the centre console box??
That would be consistent with what the manual tells one to do.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Do you mean to say put the remote in the slot inside the centre console box??
That would be consistent with what the manual tells one to do.

you can put it there if you like but the receiver has a range of around 15cm so just putting it in the tray infront of the console or inside the cup holders is sufficient.
just dropping the keys into the console will work.

the slot is just a easy to explain location for customers to make sure they put it in the right spot and it will get the key as close as possible to the receiver.