Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traveling Oldschool Style.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey All

What would be best option travel over 600k at night or during the day? I won't be the only car, ill be taggin along with a F**D

Up here at night its starting to get cold, under 20 atm, and during the day it can get really hot well over 30! The negine runs hot i know that but in my mind i think id make better progress at night

Would it be worth giving her a small rest or longer rest in between? shes old, hasnt had a rebuild to the engine itself, but ive done a fine service all over!

I'm planning on just sitting on 90 - 95 until i get close to my point then dash at 100, might save an extra liter or so on fuel.

Just asking before i go on friday, as ive only driven ricers on long trips like the one im about to do.

cheers in advance.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
defenetly go night man, i am in two minds weather or not to drive down to melbounre from sydney, i'd defenetly be leaving at night if i do do that path.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I'd say if your worried about it overheating go at night? I don't know... But me personally if overheating was an issue I'd take it when temps are down.

And christina, have you had any problems with overheating? I've driven up to NSW is the middle of summer during the day and had no problems... I'd say leave early morning! and have a couple rests :p

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It's not overheating being a real issue, is more along the lines of she heats up & performance it becomes abit sluggish in the mid day between 11 and 2 but i expect that, but i also expect her being to cold it can damage the core but i doubt that will happen as ive decided to give her a few laps to warm up around the city and my auto choke works right.. sometimes.

Anyhow next questions...

Do u think e10 would be a good choice on a long trip or best stick with unleaded?

I've heard of coils playing in old rides on long trip 'the engine just cuts off?' is there anything i should do if this happens?

Whats abnomral oil pressure? Just so i know :)

Jimboss

Reaction score
Provided your car is still in good nick (mechanically), it shouldn't be too bad during the day on a long trip, i drove mine back from Adelaide (sitting on 110 most of the way), during the middle of the day and didn't notice much difference to performance, and the temp gauge never went past 1/4.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Provided your car is still in good nick (mechanically), it shouldn't be too bad during the day on a long trip, i drove mine back from Adelaide (sitting on 110 most of the way), during the middle of the day and didn't notice much difference to performance, and the temp gauge never went past 1/4.

Thanks for that bit of info on the temp mate :thumbsup: I'll be sitting under 100 most of the way.. i love to drive to much & don't wanna be done for speeding ;)

I have to cross the mountain/hill terrain first, up hill's going to be something & well down hill :p

Should see abit of fuel usage there. will see :)

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
get a little thermo fan for your car, I have an 8" on my Vk and we were driving in 34 all day and it neaver left cold :D best thing ever!
It should be fine, Don't forget you have the 202 in front of ya! un-breakable!
Hope the trip goes well! btw where are you going?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Goon, chill out. If you can't drive your car for a 1000 K's non stop anytime of the day, then there is something wrong with your car.

Coolant ok? Oil ok? No leaks? everything else ok? Then no problem.

I drove a Corona (with Starfire 4cyl Holden motor) to Cairns from Melbourne doing 110 K's an hour and 700 K's a day. It went fine. This car had 450 thousand on the motor and still went good after it was traded in. The old Holden motors are brilliant. My old man took an FE to Cairns and back and stood up to it years ago. The Holden motors are tough. As long as you have everything in order fluid wise and no major leaks, the motors will last forever.

If your motor runs like crap in heat, then there is something wrong.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
bit of both, travel late afternoon+late night. get up mid day, get ready to leave then do so late afternoon again.
ie, leave around 4-5ish pm, travel up till around 2-4ish am then rest up b4 leaving again at 4-5ish pm. (just what i do on long trips)
Better traffic conditions, sorts your car heating problem and you still get a decent snooze ready for the next part of the trip.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
I prefer leaving at around 4am, and arriving around lunchtime to 2pm or whatever, but I'm used to early starts for work, if you dont normally get up early dont do it as you wont be awake properly.

do all your checks before you go, pack a small toolbox with some basic tools along with a spare fanbelt and a couple of coke bottles full of water, for the engine if required and for drinking if stranded for a while if the worst does happen...

travelling at night rocks but you have lower visibility and run a greater risk of animals on the road (a wombat can ruin your whole day or night).