Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trickle/ battery charger

Leonotski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE,SV6 WAGON
Just wondering my car sits in the garage a fit bit , should I run a trickle charger on it ? If not how many times should I start it up a week and how far a drive should I take it on to keep the battery healthy ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
IMHO, and this is nowhere near scientific (just "gut feel" really - but my gut is quite large so surely the feel is more acute?), but I'd want to be driving it at a decent (not stop-start) rate for half an hour if it's sitting for a full week.

Depending on how often you use it, it might work out to be not only more convenient but also cheaper to go with the trickle-charger. :)

I have a question though - do you have to trickle-charge directly to the battery, which would be a PITA, or can you use the positive & negative posts under the bonnet for that?

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I definitely recommend the trickle charger, my S2 in storage has a trickle charger on it and it starts 1st time after being idle for months, I hook up the leads up to posts under the bonnet

Brockaholic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Running 2 in my VF
Drive car once a month if lucky
Starts 1st go all the time
Connected straight to batteries
IMG_8272.jpg
IMG_8273.jpg

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Posts under the bonnet are fine. I attached the wires to the posts and routed them all through existing holes and used grommets to prevent wires rubbing through, so now I just have to plug the connector in to start charging. Nice and neat and well worth the 15 minutes it took me.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just wondering my car sits in the garage a fit bit , should I run a trickle charger on it ? If not how many times should I start it up a week and how far a drive should I take it on to keep the battery healthy ?
"a bit" is such a subjective term :p

In your owners manual, under battery disconnection section on page 258, it states the following:

The battery may discharge if the vehicle is not used for approximately six weeks.
If the battery is disconnected it may discharge after approximately 12 weeks. Trickle feed on a battery charger overnight, before installing back into the vehicle.
If the battery is disconnected or discharged, the boot (sedan) and the tailgate (wagon) will not open normally...
(followed by info on the consequence of disconnecting a battery)

There doesn't seem to be further advice within other sections of the Holden owners manual about vehicle storage or non use (that I've noticed) :(

So even with a six week driving hiatus, you shouldn't see any major battery issues... But ultimately everything wil get old and tired including the battery. Cranking would get harder and harder as time goes by so after may be 6 or 7 (some have had 9) years you could start having startring troubles even if the car is used every days... but that's normal and may simply mean it's time for a new battery ;)

If you park a car long term, say more than six weeks, best to remove the battery and connect it to a quality trickle charger which will serve to avoid killing the battery through sulphation (caused by too low a battery voltage).

If your car is parked six months or more, i'd consider other measures as well. Placing the car on stands so the weight of the car is not on your tyres will avoid getting flat spot memory effect on your tyres. Without a doubt, keeping the car out of the sun will also slow the degradation of external plastics and interior materials. Some say to completely fill up the tank with 98, others say to empty the tank of fuel, don't know which is better...

Interestingly, BP has a Fuel Storage Fact Sheet which states fuel shouldn't be stored more than 4 weeks :eek: There are supposed ways to expend that time somewhat by not filling the tank up completely and topping up using fresh premiin teir 1 fuels. Whatever you do DONT ever use E10 or E85 if the car isn't being continually driven. Ethanol fuels will suck moisture from the air and suffer phase separation issues which will cause you grief if storing/parking the car for extended periods....

For very long term storage, i've heard some classic enthusiests completely fill engine block with oil, including above the pistons (via temporary removing spark plugs). They do similar overfills with gearboxes, etc where possible. Obviously such is lots of work up front and also means lots of work to prepare their car for putting back on the road so many simply don't bother.

For me, a trickle charger and a long drive (atleast 1/2 hour to boil any moisture from the oil) every few months seems to be enough. But at the end of the day, i expect the battery will die and they car will have problems.

Cars like to be driven though police never accepted that premise :p:p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To me, drive the car at least once a month for a good half hour.....Keeps everything working as it should...ie gearbox, diff, brakes....Start leaving it sit and things start to stuff up...

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
My car is used for our trips away.

Our last trip away (Darwin) was Sept 2019 and since that time car has had sporadic attention.

It might get a run to Bunnings two weeks in a row or it might sit in the shed for two months in a row.

I've got a "smart charge" charger which I occasionally hook up to under bonnet posts overnight (or a few days if I forget about it).

Haven't had any problems remote starting it so obviously these things thrive on neglect :)

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Get a trickle charger - worthwhile investment as many of us here with AC Delco batteries or other good quality batteries can make them last for 5-7 years with good care.
The electronics of the VF are very finicky at startup and require a very well charged battery to ensure good operation. If not, error messages can come up on the dash.
As my drive to and from work each day is less than 20 mins and in stop start, that is really not good enough for fully charging my battery so it is hooked to a trickle charger every night. However I’m a bit of a special case as my battery must power my dash cam in parking mode hence I demand a lot from it.
A decent battery charger is the Ctek MXS5.0… wait for it to go on special at places like Repco and it can be had for around the $100 mark.
Connect it to the ports under the bonnet as opposed to directly to the battery as that is more complicated with wires feeding into your boot. The bonnet can be closed with the Ctek wires between it and the front bumper without an issue.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I have an old battery fighter junior that I used on motorcycle batteries which I connect on the under bonnet terminals if the car sits a while . Works well, still on the original battery.