Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trimatic and lazy reverse problem - help please

NutsandBolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB/SL
I have a 79 VB commodore with a 253 & Trimatic configuration. The car runs as it should in drive and running through the gears etc. When I engage reverse, it takes a few seconds for the engine revs to drop slightly, feels like it is trying to engage, but then fails. If you run between low and moderate revs, sometimes you can get it to catch (sort of).

Anyway, I have now done the basics of dropping the pan, replaced filter and adjusted the bands. In the bottom of the pan was small amount of brown sludge, but no fragments. To screw bans up to 4.5 Nm took 5 1/4 turns, so not far off what it should be. I put it back together, run through gears etc, however, I still have the same lazy, almost non existent reverse. Forward gears still all good.

Can I please get advice on what may be wrong ( I read of a reverse clutch, but not really sure what this is?).
Whatever the problem, is it a DIY fix? and are parts expensive, or is it a job for an auto transmission mechanic?

Thank you kindly for any tips.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
May need a bit more transmission fluid to make it good ?