Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trimatic trans cooler lines

nz_cruiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hi all i am in the process of doing some work to my VH commdore, i had to cut one of the trans cooler lines to the radiator off as it was seized in there. So i am on the lookout for a new one but struggling to find the correct one. What models would fit the VH commodore 6 cylinder?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
What I did was disconnect the lines from radiator (poor design)
and run a Davies Craig cooler.
You should be able to pick 1 up with all fittings for around the $150 mark.
Besides how on earth is a hot radiator meant to cool a trans?

nz_cruiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
did you do away with the steel pipes and just run rubber hose to the trans cooler?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Kept the steel pipes and shortened them
I got away with not having to flare the ends
and using 2 clamps on each line.
You might want to think about flaring though
as what worked for me might not work for all.
Don't forget to remove the lines 1st as to clean up the ends.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Never run rubber lines all the way. Use steel line, bubble flared at either end and only use the rubber lines where required. I used fuel lines from a vn-vs commodore from the wreckers when I made mine.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
What I did was disconnect the lines from radiator (poor design)

Besides how on earth is a hot radiator meant to cool a trans?

considering trans temps can run up into the high 120C under load and radiator operating temp is around 90C...

id would NEVER rely solely on a trans cooler. always fit the cooler then the radiator in series. this will help balance out the temperature going into the trans so you dont get hot/cold spikes. remember this point, the radiator often comes to temp before the transfluid does, so its also there to WARM the fluid. your transmission likes to be at operating temp, not cold.

OP, just cut a straight section of the metal hose, flare the end a bit then join it with proper transmission spec rubber hose. cheap/easy and lasts for years.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Yes you're right,I just assume that a trans cooler will be mounted to the rad therefore
recieving the correct temp,but without the risk of a rad going bad and water filling into trans,very costly repair.
Sorry for not explaining myself.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
12+ years ago when I set up my WB ute with trimatic trans I ran hydraulic grade rubber hose too twin coolers mounted in front of the rad never had an issue with shifting or trans performance or problems from the hoses or clamps , so using the right hose and connections can make the job easy .

Many other street and strip cars have been setup in the same fashion and given many years of trouble free performance weather it be heavy towing or dragging racing down the strip or round Phillip island .