Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trip meter and odometer numbers not moving ?

Graham C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive wagon ,Vs executive wagon
took the dash out to check all the illumination and teltale globes, replaced non working lamps and refitted dash.
Speedometer reads speed, but no klms are adding to the trip meter or odometer. There are only the three plugs that mount behind the dash that go into the three sockets on the rear of the dash. All are plugged in but no odometer. Everything else is working and the odometer was working prior to removal.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
You probably now have a broken odometer gear cog which requires replacement. They are tiny little delicate things inside the cluster that if not already changed are at that age where they all break a tooth of the tiny gear.

Graham C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive wagon ,Vs executive wagon
if i had of dropped the cluster i could understand the reason for it not working but that wasnt the case. I have had a 60 year old coupe odometer fail after hitting a patched up pothole at highway speed, that i can understand.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It was common for the cogs to go even back when they were 5-10 years old. When I had my VP, I recall quite a few threads about it. Circa 2004/06. It’s a simple repair if I’m not mistaken.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
It was common for the cogs to go even back when they were 5-10 years old. When I had my VP, I recall quite a few threads about it. Circa 2004/06. It’s a simple repair if I’m not mistaken.
My dad's VS odometer stopped at about 110,000 km. I was lucky: mine lasted about 250,000 km

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah mine went and I never even pressed it while driving. Yet prior to knowing the issues it can cause I had pressed it two separate times a few years earlier and it never stopped. They just go when they want and it's because they are old and affected by heat at least nine times out of 10 its the cogs. Very rarely but it does happen that the mechanism dies but this is not common.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
took the dash out to check all the illumination and teltale globes, replaced non working lamps and refitted dash.
Speedometer reads speed, but no klms are adding to the trip meter or odometer. There are only the three plugs that mount behind the dash that go into the three sockets on the rear of the dash. All are plugged in but no odometer. Everything else is working and the odometer was working prior to removal.
The cogs are relatively cheap and easy to instal. https://www.autopartssupply.com.au/holden-vs-commodore-ute-speedo-odometer-gear-cog-s

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My dad's VS odometer stopped at about 110,000 km. I was lucky: mine lasted about 250,000 km
Your dads car must be more valuable being a low mileage example :p:p:p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
if i had of dropped the cluster i could understand the reason for it not working but that wasnt the case. I have had a 60 year old coupe odometer fail after hitting a patched up pothole at highway speed, that i can understand.
Entropy is a bitch. Stuff does wear out or decay over time, not everything requires some external force to act on it to break it!