Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trip to Victoria's largest freshwater Lakes

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I went for a drive the other day, we passed all the great lakes of Victoria. Here I present to you what it looks like out there May 2009. You really had to be there and see the dust storm to appreciate the epic nothingness, no water or life of anykind as far as the eye could see. This area is "supposed" to be a salt lake but there's nothing left, the fresh lakes to the South of this one like Lake Colac are bone dry too

65019d1243497974-trip-victorias-largest-freshwater-lakes-lak_corangamite1.jpg

65020d1243497974-trip-victorias-largest-freshwater-lakes-lake_corangamite2.jpg

65021d1243497974-trip-victorias-largest-freshwater-lakes-lake_corangamite4.jpg

Attachments

• Lak_Corangamite1.jpg
    Lak_Corangamite1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 2,330
  • Lake_Corangamite2.jpg
    Lake_Corangamite2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,045
  • Lake_Corangamite4.jpg
    Lake_Corangamite4.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,124

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'm only 21 and I grew up just near lake hindmarsh, and remember swimming, getting dumped by big waves, and even the lake flooding a couple times. That hasn't had a drop of water in it for what must be close to 10 years now, and has spelled the death of at least one of the neighbouring towns.

It's a sad sight whevever I go back there now, to what seems like a ghost town constantly hidden by big dust clouds off the lake

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
By the way the last picture is looking South the first two Looking North. There's supposed to be water in there 4 meters deep even in fairly recent years, it's never been dry since white man arrived :S. Also back in the days when it used to rain it was much much less salty and full of birds etc. Now the grass wont even grow. Anyone who had been through Colac as a kid and seen the giant lake they have (had) would be amazed to see that's just gone... totally to nothing. It would be good to find a way to fix this, I keep telling Sam/Savage in WA to start planting trees :p start at the West Coast and by the time he Reaches Byron Bay everything should be self watering and fixed :p

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
lake colac is empty?? :( dam i remember just a couple of years ago when i was driving through to get to the grampians it looked like the ocean.... man things have gotten bad

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
lake colac is empty?? :( dam i remember just a couple of years ago when i was driving through to get to the grampians it looked like the ocean.... man things have gotten bad

Yep like a bowl of dirt man :) empty x 100 nothing but dirt. Amazing isn't it.

I'll tell you one thing that anoys me, is that most of Country Victoria is forced to live on stage 4 water restrictions while the city has gone well under it's stage 4 threshold but it's never going to be put to stage 4. I don't think they ever intended on playing by the same rules :) scammers http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/03/30/59695_news.html

I'm not the only one upset :)

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
Yep like a bowl of dirt man :) empty x 100 nothing but dirt. Amazing isn't it.

I'll tell you onwt think that anoys me, is that most of Country Victoria is forced to live on stage 4 water restrictions while the city has gone well under it's stage 4 threshold but it's never going to be put to stage 4. I don't think they ever intended on playing by the same rules :) scammers

wow that has really amazed me, i dunno wat to say but i gota go for a drive there to check it out :(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Lake+Colac+-+dry+-+Jan+09.jpg

438517.jpg

Lake Colac ^ bit different than you remember I bet