Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by Jason, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

Hello Everyone

I got a VS series I Acclaim. As far as i know the acclaim doesnt have a trip computer option, anyway, mine doesnt have one.

does anyone know if its possible to fit a Tcomputer out of, say a calais or berlina?
    there's Shitloads of unused wiring connections in and under the dash, it really looks as though a lot of the optional extras just plug straight in...

2. markovr

markovr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94vr 5sp .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn ,88 vn 5sp
    Sure is but you have to run a few more wires to feed the other connector that plugs into the level3 dash that has the trip computer.
    I have done it to mine and it works perfectly.
    You basically need the loom that feeds from the three connectors under the dash to the instruments heated window air con and hazardswitches and the glovebox light...its only a short loom.

3. scotty

scotty Guest

Would this work on an Executive? and if so how much approx?

4. markovr

Members Ride:
    Yes mine was a executive......... you need to get the short dash loom out of a car that had the trip computer berlina statesman etc and solder about 10 wires from parts of it it to your original loom.
    It cost me in Brisbane
    250 for cluster its you might even find one with lower kms
    25 for switch assembly that goes in place of speed alert
    45 for loom if you can find one
    You need a length of wire to run from ecm connector across dash
    And a bit of patience ...................I made up a bit of a diagram after I did it so in the future I would have something to use if a fault happened.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  5. Jason

Jason Guest

thanks mark! ...just one of those handy little things to have...

so is it true that everything from exec thru calais, optioned or not, starts out with the same wiring? that all the looms for everything are already in place BEFORE it gets decided to turn this one into an exec, berlina, etc?

6. I wouldnt say ALL the looms are there but from my understanding most of them are because it saves costs in deciding what to put it and what to take out. A lot of the time the relays/sensors/etc. will need to be installed aswell but as a general guide yes the wiring is the same.

7. markovr

Members Ride:
    I think that there are things like climate control maybe cruise and a few options that separate the looms from say a statesman calais to a stocko model but all the inputs are ther at the dash connectors bar the wire to the ecm that had to be run sepatately on mine.

8. Jason

Jason Guest

Thanks guys! ill look into it. Let You nkow how i went

9. pats1

pats1 New Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    My son has purchased a digital VS dash and wants to put it in a VS Acclaim. You were saying you had a wiring diagram for this installation. Is it possible to get a copy off you.

10. stinky

stinky New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Executive
    I was looking into the same thing (getting calais cluster + trip computer) installed into my VS Exec, but got slightly put off when quoted $380 :(

11. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    when you get the new cluster and such is it possible to change the odometer to read what your car has really done? people could see it as misleading cos it could have lower Kms on it

12. stinky

stinky New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Executive
    not 100% sure, but i'd say that if it does get professionally installed (like in my case), they would have something they can connect to the computer and alter the reading to that of what it currently is

13. Mossman

Mossman New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 VY Exec
    Climate control

So am i correct in saying that my VS commodore with standard AC controls can be upgraded to a digital climate control?? If so what else do i need apart from the control panel which i have already???

14. markovr

Members Ride:
    The climate control uses a few sensors for the electronic unit to tell each servo how far to open to get to the desired temperature.
    To install climate cont you need to get a climate cont heater /air cond box that has the servo motors and sensors and wiring.The basic heater box of the climate control is the same as the standard box but it has different sevos to open the different doors etc ,and a few sensors around the box and two extra ones external to the box as well as a different short wiring loom with different plugs and a amplifier unit instead of a resistor.
    To install climate control it is possible to use your exsisting loom but it is far easier to install a complete loom so everything simply plugs up.

15. Jason

Jason Guest

$380 whoa...not cheap. Where from? i just cant find one! tried a local wrecker, but he didnt have anything...can you just buy them (trip comp)as aftermarket units or something? :confused:

16. Mossman

Mossman New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 VY Exec
    So what total cost would i be looking at to convert to climate control and is it really worth the hassle

17. dale-jcf

dale-jcf Member

If its only 10 wires I might do the same thing. To replace the loom with the proper loom requires pulling the dash out it seems!

Do you need to run the wire to the ECU serparately. I would imagine this is to tell how much fuel is being used?

18. markovr

Members Ride:
    Yes you do have to run the wire to the connector near the ecm....some looms had this wire already run so check this out ..its a yellow/black wire.
    You can solder the wires off the old loom but it is a bit fiddly....and you have to undo the loom near the fuses so you have enough wire to tee off.
    Here are a few diagrams of the wiring connectors that might help
    You need a connector and wires that feed the mode/reset switch that goes in place of your speed alert but if you are stripping back the necessary wires from a short loom they will still be connected at either ends in the connector boxes anyway.
    If you are going to do it without pulling the dash apart you will need to run these wires behind the dash .try http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/38452-vs-dash-upgrade.html
    In diagrams first one tees off wire at connector 124,125 and 126 end and the next shows it at instrument connector 1 2 3 end...same wire just different ends.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
    88GreenVN and nugatory like this.
  19. dale-jcf

dale-jcf Member

Thanks for that. Those diagrams will make it nice and easy. I think I'll terminate these additions on another connector so that I can swap back and forth between dashes, or more likely so I can swap the dash between my cars and see which one I prefer it in.

Thanks.

20. markovr

Members Ride:
    That will work as long as they are the same model dash's...that is vr/s level3 dash into a vr or vs car
    or vn/p level 3 dash into a vn or vp car ..if you swap the two type level 3 dashes the wiring will burn out as there are different connections on the other 3 instrument connections between the two types.

Another thing I think the tan and green wires in the middle connector jpeg I've called them terminal 8 when they are actually terminal 7 but the colours are right and all the connections are soldered to wires that are the same colour anyway.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004