Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

jonomatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Manual
Thanks mate you've been a big help. One last question before i go and do this; has anyone done this using wire tap connectors or something like that to avoid soldering? I thought it would probably make the connection job a bit easier but would it make it too hard to put the loom back in the dash after it has been taken out and had all the wire-tap or whatever connectors added onto it?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Thanks mate you've been a big help. One last question before i go and do this; has anyone done this using wire tap connectors or something like that to avoid soldering? I thought it would probably make the connection job a bit easier but would it make it too hard to put the loom back in the dash after it has been taken out and had all the wire-tap or whatever connectors added onto it?

If you dont solder the joints and they come apart or get a corroded connection - L3 upgrade = fail at some point.

Take the time to solder

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Have to agree solder is best youll also find it can be quite tight space for the loom thos tap connectors may be hard to work with

jonomatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Manual
awesome and quick response. whats the best way to solder them? cut the original loom wire then solder all three parts at once or is it somehow possible to remove the wire casing to tap into the wire without damaging the copper or whatever inside?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah i normally just use a lighter and melt off a little insulator then solder on the new wire then tape over with high quality electrical tape (dont use that cheap **** superdodgey sells).

Doing it by cutting and solder all 3 pieces i only do if im going to use heatshrink

jonomatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Manual
I feel like an idiot now because i've lost the sheet that I wrote down where all the plugs are supposed to go back to in connector 1 of the level 2 wiring loom. Is the wiring diagram at the start of this thread the same for a level 2 but with the 4th plug added onto it? I know which brown/white wire goes where because i marked the inside one with a permanent marker just not sure about the others.

jonomatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Manual
Don't worry its all good now. used the wiring diagram at start. One last thing; got any tips on where to get that fuel wire lug? I have a complete l3 harness which I got off ebay if that helps?

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
a big thank you to everybody who contributed here. i just completed my lvl3 upgrade in my VS Exec S2. and it all worked first go. which is very rare for me. i spliced the 4th connector and the trip computer connector from a lvl3 dash loom onto my lvl2 dash loom by following the wire diagram provided. it all works perfectly! lcd, chimes, readings etc. i might need to calibrate it because i have 19" wheels on it.
i removed my dash (which was suprisingly easy), i did this for access and because i put a stato dash in
couldn't be happier! thanks guys!

215994_10150209616155376_652680375_8570418_4488354_n.jpg

Last edited:

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
hi all,
i did a conversion on my vs 99 ute from a L2 to L3 cluster, but i ran into few problem i turn on
1: the fuel usage is not showing or changing
2: the cluster backlight is not turning on when i turn on the park light
3: the lcd screen light turns off when i turn on the park light

cheers

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Have you connected the yellow/black wire to the ecu plug? If not make sure that is connected. Did you put the headlight switch in from a Berlina/Calais or Statesman? If so put the standard one back in.