Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

stinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
not 100% sure, but i'd say that if it does get professionally installed (like in my case), they would have something they can connect to the computer and alter the reading to that of what it currently is

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Climate control

So am i correct in saying that my VS commodore with standard AC controls can be upgraded to a digital climate control?? If so what else do i need apart from the control panel which i have already???

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The climate control uses a few sensors for the electronic unit to tell each servo how far to open to get to the desired temperature.
To install climate cont you need to get a climate cont heater /air cond box that has the servo motors and sensors and wiring.The basic heater box of the climate control is the same as the standard box but it has different sevos to open the different doors etc ,and a few sensors around the box and two extra ones external to the box as well as a different short wiring loom with different plugs and a amplifier unit instead of a resistor.
To install climate control it is possible to use your exsisting loom but it is far easier to install a complete loom so everything simply plugs up.

J

Jason

$380 whoa...not cheap. Where from? i just cant find one! tried a local wrecker, but he didnt have anything...can you just buy them (trip comp)as aftermarket units or something? :confused:

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
So what total cost would i be looking at to convert to climate control and is it really worth the hassle

dale-jcf

Reaction score
markovr said:
Yes mine was a executive......... you need to get the short dash loom out of a car that had the trip computer berlina statesman etc and solder about 10 wires from parts of it it to your original loom.
It cost me in Brisbane
250 for cluster its you might even find one with lower kms
25 for switch assembly that goes in place of speed alert
45 for loom
You need a length of wire to run from ecm connector across dash
And a bit of patience ...................I made up a bit of a diagram after I did it so in the future I would have something to use if a fault happened.
If its only 10 wires I might do the same thing. To replace the loom with the proper loom requires pulling the dash out it seems!

Do you need to run the wire to the ECU serparately. I would imagine this is to tell how much fuel is being used?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Yes you do have to run the wire to the connector near the ecm....some looms had this wire already run so check this out ..its a yellow/black wire.
You can solder the wires off the old loom but it is a bit fiddly....and you have to undo the loom near the fuses so you have enough wire to tee off.
Here are a few diagrams of the wiring connectors that might help
You need a connector and wires that feed the mode/reset switch that goes in place of your speed alert but if you are stripping back the necessary wires from a short loom they will still be connected at either ends in the connector boxes anyway.
If you are going to do it without pulling the dash apart you will need to run these wires behind the dash .try http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/38452-vs-dash-upgrade.html
In diagrams first one tees off wire at connector 124,125 and 126 end and the next shows it at instrument connector 1 2 3 end...same wire just different ends.

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 10,140
  • 5 dash 2.JPG
    5 dash 2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 11,697
Last edited:

dale-jcf

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Those diagrams will make it nice and easy. I think I'll terminate these additions on another connector so that I can swap back and forth between dashes, or more likely so I can swap the dash between my cars and see which one I prefer it in.

Thanks.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
That will work as long as they are the same model dash's...that is vr/s level3 dash into a vr or vs car
or vn/p level 3 dash into a vn or vp car ..if you swap the two type level 3 dashes the wiring will burn out as there are different connections on the other 3 instrument connections between the two types.

Another thing I think the tan and green wires in the middle connector jpeg I've called them terminal 8 when they are actually terminal 7 but the colours are right and all the connections are soldered to wires that are the same colour anyway.

Last edited: