Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
The dash was out of the wreck I got the 5ltr out of. I'll try another cluster and see how that goes, I have another V6 one in the shed. So your saying that it might be the digital part of the dash that isn't working properly?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The dash was out of the wreck I got the 5ltr out of. I'll try another cluster and see how that goes, I have another V6 one in the shed. So your saying that it might be the digital part of the dash that isn't working properly?

Did the 5.0L come out of a VR? If not that will be your issue. The VN/VP trip computers deal with low fuel and over speed differently in the trip computer.

If the trip computer PCB is blue or red it wont work properly in a VR. Blue - VN/VQ and red = VP. Early VN is green as are all VR and VS trip computers. Late VS are a light green.

To be sure you can look at the date tag on the metal base of the trip computer - or inside the trip computer look at the number on the largest chip on the PCB.

VN chip number 39449
VP chip number 40748
VR chip number 44378

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah the five o came out of a VR. The wreck was a 94 model and mine is a 93 model. All the clusters I have (three in total) are from VR's with all warning lights in the same spot too. I made sure I got VR clusters when buying them. I'll check the tags too as well, but I know the one in there now is definitely a VR cluster as I wrecked the car myself.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the five o came out of a VR. The wreck was a 94 model and mine is a 93 model. All the clusters I have (three in total) are from VR's with all warning lights in the same spot too. I made sure I got VR clusters when buying them. I'll check the tags too as well, but I know the one in there now is definitely a VR cluster as I wrecked the car myself.

Then the issue is going to be along the yellow black path some place. Check you have the yellow black in the A2 slot on the engine loom plug (I have seen people plug it into the arial plug) Check the cluster PCB tracks to trip computer.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Knowing my luck your probably right. Will check it out. Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Knowing my luck your probably right. Will check it out. Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated.

If you have had the same problem with 2 clusters.... then I'd run a multi meter over the yellow black from the 4th plug to the engine loom plug @ A2.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I reckon I've gone to the wrong plug. I'd almost put money on it, lol. Gotta have a look at it sometime this week. Thanks mate.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
OK, lol. I now have the yellow/black wire connected to A2 on the ECU. It still didn't work initially so I tried another cluster. No go with that one unfortunately. I checked the rest of the wiring with a multimeter and all seems fine. I redid 2 wires (Tan and Green) although they were fine (looks and multimeter wise). Put my cluster back in (V8 one) and now the litres just constantly go up. The tank is selected to 80ltr (which I have installed). Is there anything I could of missed? Check out the vid.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The instant should sit on zero when in park or stopped. So by it going up it's getting voltage from some other place. Pm your email and I can send my check sheet.

The Tan wire at C1#5 should line up with C4#11
The Green wire at C3#3 to C4#12.

What do you get in Diag mode?