Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble With B&M Shifter into a VK

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
all good if you have a 3 speed hey but what happens when you install a 4 speed auto and stock shifter no longer cuts it?

if installed correctly they are an awesome shifter but if you get it wrong then the can be a pain in the ass.

agreed, but they're using them with 3 speeds, which in my opinion is a waste of time. But Yeah if i ever went a 4 speed I'd contemplate it as a way around adapting a shifter for that box into an early car.

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Just an update for Danny8, and whoever else is following this thread, car is now running and tuned and trans shift much easier once the car had bin idoling for a little while, same as what chrisso 82 pretty much said too

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Oh yeah I forgot about this thread. Yeah ours has come good too. Rego'd the car Sunday night and done about 400k's with it so far and she seems fine. :thumbsup:

Still need to adjust ours a bit tho. It's a fraction out. From 1st to 2nd is fine, but 2nd to Drive and it goes into neatral, but go back and it gets drive...so yeah it's not far out, will sort it out when we chuck it on a hoist next lol.

Vk355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hey guys. Does anyone have any tips/ tricks/ just letting me know what I’m in for regarding trying to put a b&m stealth pro ratchet shifter in my vk Calais. Am only wanting to do it if I can get it neatly in factory cover. Cheers

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
You'll need a drop box so the shifter sits below the cover so only the lever sticks through the factory shifter hole. Easily done, google VK ratchet shifter and click on images. Drop box is about $150 on eBay. Also, put some heat proof sleeve on the shifter cable as they tend to melt without one.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
+1 for the Dropbox.

I've got one in my VR, shifter looks almost factory.

Vk355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
You'll need a drop box so the shifter sits below the cover so only the lever sticks through the factory shifter hole. Easily done, google VK ratchet shifter and click on images. Drop box is about $150 on eBay. Also, put some heat proof sleeve on the shifter cable as they tend to melt without one.
Cheers man. Do you happen To know what model number I’m needing? It’s just for a built up vk trimatic rh drive. But I’m abit lost trying to find what one I need with all the American codes etc. thanks again

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride

Vk355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, yea I can find the drop box easy enough it’s more the shifter and brackets I need that I’m having trouble with.

Most if not all ratchet style shifters come with a variety of trans cable brackets to fit all types of auto boxes. The shifters themselves just bolt to a flat surface, so all you need to look for is one suited to a three speed box, and a shifter that you like.