Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble with car not starting on first go

Gallaasium

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
I have a 2006 VZ Commodore Executive Sedan, and since this morning I have noticed that when I have tried to start the engine it just clicks over, and then on the second its starts. Have had no problem with it until now and am hoping someone might have an idea what could it be causing it?

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Do you mean it winds over a bit before its starts ? Or the starter is clicking ? If is the first it could be a fuel pressure problem a sign of a faulty regulator or the fuel pump is about to die

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Battery is on the way out a possibility.
Mine did that and that was the cause.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Get your Auto Club or an Auto Electrician to do a load test. Only sure way of ascertaining true state of the battery. Sounds like it may need replacing.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Mine is doing the same thing intermittently (Calais V6 190KW 315,000kms), when first going to start it, it will click (you can hear the relay click under the bonnet) and then turn key off and hit the key again it will wind over. I have a new battery fitted and clean battery terminals, sounds like the solenoid or the wiring to solenoid as been told by a NRMA mechanic they sometimes cut and re-terminate the wire to the starter solenoid.
I haven't checked mine yet as weather is to crappy to get outside and check it over, one day soon it will probably let me down...lol

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
had something like this on 2 of my cars.

first was the VTII Exec, was a dodgy relay. This got progressively worse, pushing down on the relay made it work 100% - replacing cured it.

second was the VXII Clubsport that was just the cables to the starter (starter end). This one got progressively worse until it would not start, removing the connector and replugging once or twice and it went away.

hope these samples help.