Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

truck driving jobs

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I have only had 1 truck driving job because I have had my licence for 10weeks, I applied for so many jobs to no avail and all came down to "not what you know but WHO you know".
so I am now driving a HR cement mixer for a small concrete company, and gain experiance driving those god awful road ranger gearboxes.
I went from a car licence to a HC which is a giant step, my goal is to get experiance then work for a bigger company for the bigger $$$$'s

I'm driving the biggest piece of sh!t in ther fleet, if I get a flat tyre I have to change it, I also have to repair my truck with assistance if it breaks down, I don't mind it is all experience.
my career change is on track..

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Back about 8 years ago finemore sold his business to toll. About 3 years ago he started again. I kept working for vehicle division and still do on a casual basis, so no more loading out of elizabeth or broady but still get to drive which is what i like doing.

There's a LOT more to the story than that. Doug Finermore almost ran "Finemores" into the ground so sold it to get out of debt. Ron Finemore has [relatively] recently restarted the company under his management with the branding of "Ron Finermore Transport" or something like that.

The couple of times I've met him, Ron has been a great bloke and his new company is on track at the moment.

Source: The Finemore family are friends with friends of our family.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
There's a LOT more to the story than that. Doug Finermore almost ran "Finemores" into the ground so sold it to get out of debt. Ron Finemore has [relatively] recently restarted the company under his management with the branding of "Ron Finermore Transport" or something like that.

The couple of times I've met him, Ron has been a great bloke and his new company is on track at the moment.

Source: The Finemore family are friends with friends of our family.

The company was not restarted at all, Ron Finemore co invested (around 35% share) into the ailing lewingtons? at the time. This was then rebranded to Ron Finemores. Finemores originally was not sold because it was "run into the ground". It was sold because Toll were on massive spending spree's buying anything that turned a profit to build up to compete with linfox. I know Paul Little (Purchased toll in the 80's for like 1.5 mill lol) personally and know quite a few details regarding some of the takeovers very well (given that we have some 20 contracts within toll divisions). Ron Finemore who was exec chairman at the time of takeover agreed to the takeover mainly due to only ever having a 50% share (part owned by K-Line?) and had no where else to go after toll purchased klines share.

On top of all this, Ron has really nothing to do with the new business, it is ran by Scott and ...not sure of the other sons name never met him. Also, former managing directors are also running the show. Fact is, many of the former Finemore staff are back, certainly not a sign that it was sold due to "running into the ground".

Source - A myriad of Toll staff, ex Finemore Finance and operation managers.

Sorry to go off topic OP. I do not drive trucks for a living, I do work within logistics and occassionaly head interstate for a trip (Have MC ticket due to getting sick of drivers claiming I didn't know what I was talking about...kind of stuffs them up now :D) to help out any of the companies that may need a favour.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Source - A myriad of Toll staff, ex Finemore Finance and operation managers.

Oh I'm sorry - I guess they know more than the owners. My bad.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Oh I'm sorry - I guess they know more than the owners. My bad.

Just look for the take over release information. Easy to find. I can certainly see no activity of bad management.

I truly doubt Paul Little would go after a company that was so badly run into the ground it need to be sold. The company was not "sold" it was a forced take over.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well there was a lot of "tension" in the family based on what I heard. If what I heard was wrong, so be it. But it's also very likely that any negativity wasn't common knowledge. Anyway, too far OT. Leave it at that. :)

DAZ60L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I have only had 1 truck driving job because I have had my licence for 10weeks, I applied for so many jobs to no avail and all came down to "not what you know but WHO you know".
so I am now driving a HR cement mixer for a small concrete company, and gain experiance driving those god awful road ranger gearboxes.
I went from a car licence to a HC which is a giant step, my goal is to get experiance then work for a bigger company for the bigger $$$$'s

I'm driving the biggest piece of sh!t in ther fleet, if I get a flat tyre I have to change it, I also have to repair my truck with assistance if it breaks down, I don't mind it is all experience.
my career change is on track..
Just hang in there mate everyone had to put in there hard yards driving ****....are you in Sydney?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
Just hang in there mate everyone had to put in there hard yards driving ****....are you in Sydney?

Adelaide, I payed $3,500 of my own money from my previous job and pretty much threw myself in the deep end with NO road ranger experience at all, I must admit it is not easy and a few times I thought I should chuck it in, no confidence! but I stuck in there and got better with more hours behind the wheel now I have a job with a road ranger and everyday getting more and more confident with every hour in the truck.
I don't mind learning in an old crappy acco 2350, because I have come to realise if I master this I can drive anything!

p.s. S.A. is the only state/territory in australia that will allow someone to graduate from a car licence to a semi. and it is a giant leap.
also it must be done in a road ranger not a synchro or auto.

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
I have driven a water tanker for a few months for Millers. I then switched to driving a garbage truck for the shire council for a year or so.
Now i've settled down back near home and have been driving a furniture truck for the past 18months with Downs removals.

I love when people complain about a hard days work, lol. I do alot of heavy lifting, pull some long hours and occasionally i tell you i work in some absolute pig styes. It amazes me some people can let a house get that bad. And worst of all i have to touch all of it to put it in the truck, how-ever there is the occasional perk when you score some free or cheap furniture :)

I'm hoping to save enough up to go for my HC license and then start driving some bigger trucks.

DAZ60L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Minux -1
TROLL - 0

Lol......anyway minux good info and also the manager of the company that I cannot name was in the same boat as you with getting his MC licence. I was hoping to really hear about people best jobs and for what reason because in the 15 years I have been part of it the industry has changed so much as you can see by my first post. Now days i would be locked up. But the change has also changed companies for instance personally if you use to work for K&S or linfox or ? You had to be a good operator but now it's changed in my opinion.