Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

True Trac into M80

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team
I just purchased a VY SS ute and the diff supplied is an empty M80 case with an Eaton True Trac with Dana 3.9s new in a box. I have never done a diff setup before; but I do have the required presses and tools to do the job.

I am tossing up sending it off to get the job done professionally and using it as a learning experience. Any advice from those that have done this before?

I do have a good diff out of my written off VZ (hit a roo) that I can use in the interim so time is not a huge issue to me.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's a time consuming process.

Setting the backlash isn't that hard as the adjustment is threaded. It's setting the pinion height that can be a pain. On the M80 they put the shim under the pinion bearing tapered race that is pressed into the diff housing.

I've done one but I didn't have the correct pinion shims so the pattern is a little deep on the crown wheel and the diff is a little noisy.

You also need to make an adapter so you can hold the drive shaft coupling on the pinion so you can do up the pinion nut, it takes a decent amount of torque to get that crush sleeve to move. I used a 600mm power bar. As it tightens down you also need to keep spinning the pinion so the bearing doesn't bind up as the pre-load comes one.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
It's a time consuming process.

Setting the backlash isn't that hard as the adjustment is threaded. It's setting the pinion height that can be a pain. On the M80 they put the shim under the pinion bearing tapered race that is pressed into the diff housing.

I've done one but I didn't have the correct pinion shims so the pattern is a little deep on the crown wheel and the diff is a little noisy.

You also need to make an adapter so you can hold the drive shaft coupling on the pinion so you can do up the pinion nut, it takes a decent amount of torque to get that crush sleeve to move. I used a 600mm power bar. As it tightens down you also need to keep spinning the pinion so the bearing doesn't bind up as the pre-load comes one.
Thanks Immortality

So if I have it right there is no requirement for shims except under the pinion bearing. So it is a matter of best guess for pinion depth and then adjust based on the lap pattern. As I have a new pinion I can't rely on the shim that was already in there but it is probably a good place to start (if I can find it). Thanks for the tips I will keep researching.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Immortality

So if I have it right there is no requirement for shims except under the pinion bearing. So it is a matter of best guess for pinion depth and then adjust based on the lap pattern. As I have a new pinion I can't rely on the shim that was already in there but it is probably a good place to start (if I can find it). Thanks for the tips I will keep researching.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Is there no shims on the carrier bearings, like I have seen on the two diffs I have disassembled?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
on the IRS diffs there is no need for shims under the carrier bearings because the hubs are threaded.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
on the IRS diffs there is no need for shims under the carrier bearings because the hubs are threaded.

My diff has a carrier bearing shim on each side of the housing. I thought the early IRS might have had them too.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Is there no shims on the carrier bearings, like I have seen on the two diffs I have disassembled?
Immortality,
Thanks for the clarification. I will rat through the components in the milk crate tomorrow and see what is in there to start from. If I can locate the pinion shim I will give it a try and see how close we get and adjust from there.
Cheers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Immortality

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Does your pinion have a depth stamped on it?

My Motive gears set had a pinion depth written on the top of the pinion but I had a blond moment and didn't see an easy way to measure it so I just used the original shim that was under the pinion bearing race when I put the new bearings in.

What I have seen others do is either grind down the pinion bearing inner so it slips over the pinion and use that to set it all up as a sacrificial bearing and then do a final install with a fresh bearing or do the equivalent with the outer shell in the housing. A diff guy also suggested using a heat gun to warm up the housing before fitting the race into it so it goes in easier. I haven't tried that yet. I did machine up a bit of stock to snugly fit into the race to make it easier to press or punch it in. I also used the inner race from the old pinion bearing (with a cut down the side to release the tension) as spacer to press the new pinion bearing on.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
My diff has a carrier bearing shim on each side of the housing. I thought the early IRS might have had them too.
Got a pic, you've got me here.

I'll be honest, I put in a new truetac center so I just pressed the new bearings straight onto it. I don't remember seeing any shims on the old LSD centre that came out.

We are talking about the M80 (or m75/76/78) here.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Does your pinion have a depth stamped on it?

My Motive gears set had a pinion depth written on the top of the pinion but I had a blond moment and didn't see an easy way to measure it so I just used the original shim that was under the pinion bearing race when I put the new bearings in.

What I have seen others do is either grind down the pinion bearing inner so it slips over the pinion and use that to set it all up as a sacrificial bearing and then do a final install with a fresh bearing or do the equivalent with the outer shell in the housing. A diff guy also suggested using a heat gun to warm up the housing before fitting the race into it so it goes in easier. I haven't tried that yet. I did machine up a bit of stock to snugly fit into the race to make it easier to press or punch it in. I also used the inner race from the old pinion bearing (with a cut down the side to release the tension) as spacer to press the new pinion bearing on.
Hold my beer - I'll be back!