Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Truetrac / Wavetrac vs Stock LSD

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Hi all,

I have been trawling through the google archives trying to make an educated decision on which way to go re the rear end.

My LSD is not on the way out but it does seem to have a bias towards the right though. When performing the burnout at the drags it always pulls the car to the right. Not sure if this is normal behaviour or not. So the main reason for the upgrade is to see if I can deliver more power to the road. Is this an unrealistic expectation and a waste or effort overall?

Have spoken to the usual suspects that pedal their wares and ofcourse each is better than the other. So I am after an unbiased/truthful opinion of the upgrade regardless of whether the buyer has had remorse or not - this is usually hard to do as human nature requires us to feel comfortable in our decision, especially when we drop hard earned cash.

So what I am looking at is:

Daily driveability
Track use
Strip use
Noise/rattles/thumps
Overall performance
Ability to put power down

I am not changing the ratio and will be retaining 3.27:1 (auto). I know this has been done before and I have done multiple searches both here and far and wide as well. Tried to message a user or two but looks like they dont want to accept messages from me (not taking it personally :))so have resorted to the open forum.

Thanks in advance
Arthur

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Truetrac uber alles.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id just do a oil change and use a 80-140 oil think it is if ur going to be loading it up and a LSD additive and see how it goes, ive been using that in mine fore years and cant feel any issues, if its still not right then look into a new setup

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I’ve had a true Trac before and they are a far superior lsd unit compared with the stock one, better in every situation daily driving, hard cornering, on the strip etc buy one if you have the spare cash :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What's a Tru Trac cost for a VF?

I'm interested as I've had one fitted to my old project car nearly 20 year ago, it was something like $400 shipped from the USA then about the same for someone to fit it to the existing diff; but the VF's probably more complicated to fiddle-with than a 40yo Volvo. At the time, diff shops wanted something like $2500 if I gave them a diff to start with; and I think The Internet Age has brought the prices down (I had to call the shop in the USA directly, they had an online catalogue but only took orders over the 'phone - they were surprised to get a call from 'Straya :)).

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
What's a Tru Trac cost for a VF?

I'm interested as I've had one fitted to my old project car nearly 20 year ago, it was something like $400 shipped from the USA then about the same for someone to fit it to the existing diff; but the VF's probably more complicated to fiddle-with than a 40yo Volvo. At the time, diff shops wanted something like $2500 if I gave them a diff to start with; and I think The Internet Age has brought the prices down (I had to call the shop in the USA directly, they had an online catalogue but only took orders over the 'phone - they were surprised to get a call from 'Straya :)).

I have been quoted $2250 for a Harrop Truetrac drive in/out. The unit itself sells for $1320. I believe the Eaton Truetrac is cheaper and I have yet to properly cost up a Wavetrac.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Truetrac uber alles.

I’ve had a true Trac before and they are a far superior lsd unit compared with the stock one, better in every situation daily driving, hard cornering, on the strip etc buy one if you have the spare cash :)

So what you guys are saying is that you have had no issues with the units. Surely there is something that the unit has bugged you guys one time or another?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
So what you guys are saying is that you have had no issues with the units. Surely there is something that the unit has bugged you guys one time or another?
Nope simply enjoy it and drive off into the sunshine

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The Eatons max power is rated in hp while the Harrop is in kw. They both have a 500 figure but it's a bit deceiving because the Harrop, if measured in hp would be 670hp vs the Eaton's 500hp.
They're worlds apart in build quality.... Eaton would go pop before the Harrop.

I have been quoted $2250 for a Harrop Truetrac drive in/out. The unit itself sells for $1320. I believe the Eaton Truetrac is cheaper and I have yet to properly cost up a Wavetrac.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The Eatons max power is rated in hp while the Harrop is in kw. They both have a 500 figure but it's a bit deceiving because the Harrop, if measured in hp would be 670hp vs the Eaton's 500hp.
They're worlds apart in build quality.... Eaton would go pop before the Harrop.
What's the difference between the two, what do Harrop do?
Tru Trac is a brand-name of a product made by Eaton (it was a smaller company a few years ago but Eaton bought them), and of you Google "Harrop Tru Trac" one of the very first results is something like "Harrop Eaton Tru Trac".
So it seems Harrop are selling a Tru Trac (which is an Eaton product) ... but are they making other mods so it's stronger? Or are they selling their own helical-style diff as well as offering the cheaper Tru Trac option?

They're all rip-offs of Quaifes anyway, aren't they?