Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trunion upgrade

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Rockers don't get noisy,it will be lifters making noise.
Unless your lifters are already making noise change your oil every 10k and give your motor a fighting chance,from what ive read the rockers only fail once large lift cams are added,they weren't designed for large cams anyway.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Keen on doing this mod on mine also, but will put a few more K's on it first.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A ‘trunion’ is a ... truth onion?
What’s a truth onion?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
so definitely something youd do with a cam?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ based on cost of doing a cam, what $3500 odd?, I’d think that would include a trunion upgrade. But if it’s not included, it seems unwise not to add it for the little extra cost.

Still in two minds whether I’d bother doing the upgrade on a stock motor while it’s still under warranty. If it breaks while under warranty, it’s either a new motor or a pp refund (as I see it) :p

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
ones with roller bearings and ones with brass bushes
i was originally looking into the brass ones, and read that they needed to be replaced as the brass wore down.
dont know if that is actual, or the estimated lifespan though.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Anything else you should replace on a stock or say mild cam motor for reliability?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@[paradox], I was helping a business owner friend who had some issue with one of his 20 year old air conditioners. The units all used brass bushes in their electric motors which were an old school commercial design. But they were all still fully functional with no play or slop. One was simply squeaky (which was why I was helping him out). All it needed was some oil poured into a small reservoir where a wick fed the oil onto the brass bush and it was back to being quiet. So I told the owner to keep up with periodic maintenance (yearly check and oiling of bush wick) and they all continued to work well for years more, then he sold the business. At the same time, he had other 2 year old modern aircon which I looked at but it was shagged (gas issues so not cold and roller bearing failure so noisy); cheaply built throw away.

So, the question for me is much the same as you've asked; are these brass trunion bushes designed to last or are they designed using ‘modern methods’ and need periodic replacement. Unfortunately I’ve found no info on their expected life in normal driving (kms, years, etc). I’d also like to know

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they use bronze bush so they are tuff and last a long time and have oiling groves to aid lubrication, brass wouldnt last long as a rocker bearing