Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Truth about the MAFless tune.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
So after reading the replies (thanks guys) i getting the following information. Pre VE it is a good idea to go MAFless but it is not essential and you can still derive an improved tune from the VY2 with a MAF tune. From my investigations it seems that the likely gains are vastly improved fuel economy on the open road, around 20 to 25 more kilowatts of power and with a MAFless tune improved throttle response.

I'm running a full Rage exhaust system and i think it is a 2.5 to 3 inch system, but i'm not entirely sure on that. Tuner said he'd quickly work out the exhaust setup. Also running a SS inductions big mouth intake and possibility some sort of mild cam (i'm just not sure about the cam. Again the tune says he work that out). So with those mods in place would a MAFless tune be a worth while upgrade?

Another question i have is if i go MAFless what physically replaces the MAF pipe in the induction system? Can it be removed from the induction system without needing to replace anything or is another small length of pipe needed to replace the MAF sensor pipe?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Usually the intake design either incorporates the MAF or requires it's removal. If the intake you have fitted leaves the MAF in place then you have two or three options. Leave the MAF in the tune, leave the MAF in place and have it disabled in the tune or remove the MAF, which I believe will require a change in intakes.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
Was the best part of the tune for me hands down.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Definitely a major driving improvement, just be aware that you can wreck the transmission easily with a tune which doesn't factor reasonable pressures or some torque management.
Had one put in when it was new which I thought was amazing, but not suited to keeping the car for long nor 95% of driving conditions. Changed several times before settled on current. Also worth considering a deep pan for about $200 IMO.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Of those that have had the MAFless/MAF tune, what are your opinions on the retuned auto trans shift points and faster gear changes?

Much more responisve and mine was done so the normal mode had a more responsive mode on it and the power mode was a full hard shifting mode

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I have had a maffless tune with a ramjet, pacemaker try ys and twin 2.5 and have tested it before and after getting tuned at the strip, the strip never lies.

Pre tune I had the full exhaust and ramjet and managed to get a 14.5 @95mph. This is about par with a standard ss so not much gains over standard.

After getting a tune, shift points were revised, allowing 6500rpm gear changes and very fast gear changes, enough to not just chirp the wheels into 2nd but to have wheel spin into 2nd, although I have a shift kit done also which added to the harshness of the shifts. From what I've been told, having line pressures increased actually increases the life of the trans as the clutches and bands no longer slip, and is a straight grab feeling between changes, almost like dropping the clutch on a manual, but faster than any human can change a manual gear.

Results of that were a best of 13.2 @108mph at the strip, which is a definite increase over stock.

IMO, a maf/mafless tune will completely change how the car feels, how it sounds and how it performs, best bang for buck in terms of performance and general car driving experience.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just remember, factory tunes are built to meet emissions standards at the cost of power and torque. There are gains to be had on any standard factory tune that will change the way the car behaves, it's just incidental (kinda) that most people go MAFless when they do get a retune.

The real test would be the retune with the MAF then without.