Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trying to Identify my motor

Stealthwalker95

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR commodore Ute
Hi guys so my motor I recently got was suppposedly a VR HSV 5L but when I try to find out anything about the motor no one seem to have any Ideas about searching after a engine number and keep asking for the vin,
I was hoping there is a way to find out properly what my motor came out of originally as I would like to know :)
I have checked one registry which was pretty vague and found that my motors engine number beats the VP range and is too low to be VS however I just would like a way to be 100% certain, and holden is being as useful as ever obviously so that option isnt available
any help would be appreciated :)

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Try contacting HSV directly and see if they can help

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did the motor come with any accessories? The main differences between the standard VR Holden and HSV engines are the exhaust system, memcal, CAI, engine covers and knock sensor. If you just have a bare engine then there is no difference performance-wise or appearance-wise between the Holden and HSV engines. There were no internal engine changes.

Stealthwalker95

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR commodore Ute
Did the motor come with any accessories?
Hey mate, No none of the accessories were mounted to it the only one out of them that could still be mounted is the sensor. how would I know the difference in sensor?

Ill give HSV a go on monday tho not feeling too confident as Holden only like VIN searches. hence why im looking for other sources.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The sensor (if it's there) will be on the driver side of the engine. Refer to the attachment below:

Attachments

• VR-VS V8 Knock Sensor.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 482

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Check the date stamp above the timing cover. Should say something like 2b4 for example which denotes 2nd feb 1994. Also has a clock next to the numbers signifying the time of day the block was cast

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Give us the engine number and the date stamp as above and I'll tell you exactly what it's out of?

Also see if you can get the casting numbers and date stamps off both cylinder heads? Should look like "92060019" or similar, they're cast under the rocker covers.

Andrew