Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tryna make my 202 v6 vh commodore sound like a v8 without adding any extra's,

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
they sound that way cause they fire both cylinders on the left into one collector then fire the 2 cylinders on the right into the other collector its also why they run real long tubes

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
WRX exhaust manifolds are uneven though, well the older ones are.
They all run even length manifolds and twin scroll turbo's now. That's they sound like Honda's.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that probably the case, however flat 4 boxer engines have always had a distinctive sound, whether it be VW, Subaru or Porsche
it's down to the design of the engine, just like the V8 sound is. It's not so noticeable with factory mufflers, but once the exhaust is opened up.... a boxer engine is very distinctive in it's sound

back to the original topic, I've never yet heard a 202 (or any inline 6 for that matter) sound anything like a V8. Yeah a 202 with lumpy idle can be mistaken for a V8, but once the revs come up, any illusion that it's a V8 is gone. I'd really suggest just making the 202 sound like a tough 6. You can make them sound good (those XU1's at Bathurst had a perfect note) however they aren't going to sound like a V8

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
My DAD reckon my 202 sounded the exact same as his VB 253 at idle, i never thought so but i never heard his 253, must have been pretty similar as a few RBTs i got pulled over for the officers quizzed me about the note after walking round the car and some wouldn't take no for an answer and made me pop the bonnet, to prove the point. It was a standard system that still had original GM mufflers so they must have lost some muffling capability by now. But yeh i vote XU1 spec 6, they sound like nothing else, tough but not like something trying to be what its not.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Did it have 900hp?

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
I think most 6 cylinders sound like commodore v8,s ...........or is that the wrong way round?:yeah:

vk_pauly

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden Commodore vh
set of extractors is a start,oh what do you know i have a set for sale!!

hey where are you from?

extractors hard to put in?

how much you selliing them for?