Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TTI sale

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Saving up for trip to Hare & Forbes...gonna hurt yet nice to update 20+yr old equipment in garage
Your 20 year old tools are probably better than what is made today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Saving up for trip to Hare & Forbes...gonna hurt yet nice to update 20+yr old equipment in garage
I've seen H & F advertised on tv. Man, I'd could spend a lot of money in there if we had one is Tas.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your 20 year old tools are probably better than what is made today?
Nah, nothing is as good as a certain somebody's $350 3/8 ratchet, and his $3000 battery rattle gun...... :p :p

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Old ass tools tad tired & could keep doing minor repairs & continue use BUT really like idea of foldup engine hoists & engine stands or heavy duty jack that fits under low cars that isn't heavy as hell.

Moreso a limited space issue & wanting everything better organised so I can open roller door,get straight to work instead of moving stuff or pulling cars out etc

** oh yeah never owned battery tools so milwaukee gear is on list..did have the gun air tools as youngster apprentice.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I got my grandads horizontal band saw and his small AL-250G lathe both from Hare & Forbes. They're not very good. The lathe is Chineseium same with the saw, I heard if you get the bigger lathes they're Taiwaneseium which is about ten times the quality of Chineseium.

All the gear I get from Total Tools seems fairly good like my engine stand which is TTI way better than the Areoflow one I bought.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All the gear I get from Total Tools seems fairly good like my engine stand which is TTI way better than the Areoflow one I bought.

What about the $3k rattle gun and the $350 ratchet???

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
A mate went to Hare and Forbes to buy a Mill Drill (3 axis from memory with digital readout)
At first they didnt really take notice of him, however after some time a young fella went and asked if he could assist.
Apparently the young fella nearly fell over when he pointed and said "i want that one, and i want to also buy all these other attachments for the mill along with these items for my lathe". (as in a 6k+ sale without questions).
Young fella was stoked with the sale and then the storeman was perplexed when the comment was made of "will it fit in my hatchback".

As for total tools they are pretty good. especially when you go in there enough and get to know them well.
the TTI gear is great for the cost.
They also can get a fair bit of stuff in if you ask. Had plenty of special orders they sorted for us, Ratcheting flare nut spanners just for an example.

Always looked at those 4 piece kits, but would've eyed up the 5 piece kit if i upsized from the old 3 piece spanner kit.
its good to get you out of trouble and was awesome when working out of a backpack needing to save space/weight for climbing towers.
Although now since being mostly off the tools, the only items i seem to eye up are the specialty high cost ones as a "just because" like the 200m laser measurement devices etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could have gone 5 piece set, but it's something like 36mm for the largest size, which is something I have only ever needed once in my life and that was an axle nut, which I used a rattle gun and socket on. Where as 21, 22 & 24 being reasonably common on most cars, it has 27mm but ICR ever needing that size. .

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What about the $3k rattle gun and the $350 ratchet???
3k rattle gun? My gun was 1200 with the drill skin assembled in the USA.
I have a $1000 ratchet too, you need good tools when you undo 1000 bolts before smoko.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I could have gone 5 piece set, but it's something like 36mm for the largest size, which is something I have only ever needed once in my life and that was an axle nut, which I used a rattle gun and socket on. Where as 21, 22 & 24 being reasonably common on most cars, it has 27mm but ICR ever needing that size. .

27mm + is fairly specialized my ratchet spanners only go to 24mm but my sockets go to 36mm.