Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tune first?

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
hey ppl,anyone have any advice on how i shuld do this.Just got some dosh come in so can finally do some mods to my exec.What i wanted to ask was,do i go and do the usual cai+cat bak exhaust then get a reflash tune or can i do the tune first? ive only got a grand hence the question.the stuff im reading about the Powerchip tune sound really good,and the kw figs were like 192kw gold tune,so im hoping to do the other 2 things also and get around 195-200kws.is this realistic?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
do the other mods first

if u get the tune straight up the gains will only be small at best, its better to do the usaual bolt ons, zorst cai etc etc then get the tunee for the best results . otherwise u will be going back for a retune after the other mods are done. as for the chip, dont bother there is tuning software out for the alloytech now, similar to the ls1 edit:bow: , this will give u far better gains in the long run and u will still keep ya std computer

dan-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS 6.0Ltr
Yep, the best way is to do the tune last. That way they can set up the tune for your mods, e.g. exhaust, cai etc...

When you guys are talking about a 'tune', what kind of tune exactly? Do you mean a service tune up from a Holden dealer or an actual professional tunes your ECU for you?

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
thanks for replys guys :). yeah i was talking about the actual pro tune that u mentioned.i still havnt found out the exact company ill go with but i was reading that thread,also on this forum about powerchip having that new program for the alloytech(autospeed)review,and have looked up the vcm tune but i think they(vcm)only cater for 8s.if dan-0 knows who/which place or program to get i wuld greatly appreciate it as im a newi and uz wuld no heaps about whats available out ther for the alloytechs.thanks.

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
i think highlander_69r was posting on that powerchip thread too,hel no which thread im talking about.

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
oh plus do you guys think ill be able to achieve 200kws?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
a zorst and a cai SHOULD get you 200 at the fly, (easier on the 190 eng as u only need 10 ;) ) with the cai and zorst including the tune it would be my guess that a min of 220kw at the fly would be more achievable. As i have not yet had the v6 edit done myself or know of anyone that has it should be fairly close.the tune will be the part that makes the greatest difference, aswell as the fuel used and zorst system setup. I am not convinced of any benefit of the mcai on the v6 and if the mafless tune will be available on the current software im already making a otr to suit the v6 setup.

it would be beneficial to get a b4 and after dyno run to show the increase in hp and torque.

from memory the tune software is from hp tuners but ill clarify that with pt while im there tomorow with my ss as they will be doing my sv6 ute aswell

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
cool.il wait til u clarify that.so all i have to do is find someone in canb who does these alloytech tunes.plus ive always used Vortex from woolies,but ive heard good things about optimax.apparently some other ppl on this forum dont think bp ultimate is that good.but yeah i always use 98ron.when u say 220 atf wuld that be with a cat bak setup only? as i dont think xtractrs will be needed for the power im looking for.thanks for reply highlandr :)

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
oh and u think itd b beta to go for a otr as well?