Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune only my ve calais v8

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Hi guys

Just a real quick one.

I just got my mits on a 2008 ve calais with the 6 litre, non afm.

I was looking at getting it tuned, there is a crowd who will come down my internet connection and do it over the phone. He said he can tune my a6 gearbox at the same time, to improve shifting. Im in tassie and there aren't many tuners down here, so im looking interstate

I don't want to do any exhaust or other mods, i want it quiet as i spend alot of time on the road in this car.

Is it worth doing just a tune, or am i wasting my time without the other mods.

Oh and im not expecting miracles, just a little bit extra.

If anyone can help that would be great

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Tune itself is still definatley worth it mate. You will get better results with other simple mods ie OTR intake and exhaust though, OTR wont increase noise and you can get an exhaust that flows well but isn't loud. Dont know anything about the internet tuning you mention, but at the end of the day, a tune will still increase your performance and decrease your fuel economy :)

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Yeah that it, steven from Oztrack. He said he sends down the gadet i need, and i plug it into my computer and car and then he takes my computer over through my inernet connection and does his magic over a couple of days with me driving and logging data so he can fully customise it for me.

He sounded pretty good over the phone, so ive coughed up the cash and its being done this week.

Ill let everyone know how it goes

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Yeah that it, steven from Oztrack. He said he sends down the gadet i need, and i plug it into my computer and car and then he takes my computer over through my inernet connection and does his magic over a couple of days with me driving and logging data so he can fully customise it for me.

He sounded pretty good over the phone, so ive coughed up the cash and its being done this week.

Mate, steves tunes are awesome. Mine has made that much difference to my car, well worth the money.

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature

That sounds prett interesting, keep us informed on how it goes.

Ive seen a Stock VE SSV with a tune only, std exhaust but with a modified airbox get 230ish rwkw.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

Mind me asking how much it's setting you back?

I'm looking at doing the same thing - a tune only, no exhaust, maybe an OTR CAI.

I didn't know about this over the internet thingy...

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
It's costing me $850, which includes a tune of the gear box.

He said i should gain about 20rwkw from a tune, along with good improvements all along the rev range, better torque and slightly improved fuel economy.

He also said i can do an OTR CAI which is another $730 delivered and gives another 10rwkw over and above the tune, but ive decided just to stick with a tune, as im still under warranty and i don't want anything that looks different to factory under the bonet (don't want to give holden any excuse to void my warranty).

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
some one can clarify this but Holden re flashes the ecu on servicing I believe, thus loosing your tune. Might want to get a copy or something in case you lose it.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Steve (oztrack) told me he can lock it so holden can't over ride it,

I don't take it to holden for service, only if there was a warranty issue.

Id be pissed if i spent almost a grand and they put it back to factory. lol