Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune required

vakaviti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey folks,

Just a quick question, I picked up a VE SSV ute and the previous owner had installed the following:

Extractors, hi flow cats, CAI and 3inch exhaust

However he took the CAI and exhaust off when he sold it to me and put the stock exhaust and CAI back on and have been on for about 5 months until recently when i installed a 3inch dual exhaust and CAI.

Now my question is would you recommend a touchup tune just incase the ECU remapped to the stock parts? or do you think its good as is?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Depends if it was tuned previously. Also depends on the intake. But if it was never tuned before you bought it, then get it done. Also, have you kept the MAF? If so, a tune isn't essential, however you will get better results with one. When he pulled the exhaust off, did he leave you with the headers/cats or did he take them as well and put the stock manifolds back on? If so, don't worry about a tune (unless MAFless) until you replace the headers/cats.

vakaviti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Depends if it was tuned previously. Also depends on the intake. But if it was never tuned before you bought it, then get it done. Also, have you kept the MAF? If so, a tune isn't essential, however you will get better results with one. When he pulled the exhaust off, did he leave you with the headers/cats or did he take them as well and put the stock manifolds back on? If so, don't worry about a tune (unless MAFless) until you replace the headers/cats.

It was tuned previously when he put all the mods on and he pulled the exhaust off but left the headers and cats for me. I have kept the MAF and went with a airhammer CAI but the previous owner had an OTR.

So a tune will be on the cards no doubt then???

Also can you get MAFless tunes using airhammer CAI?

cheers

Last edited:

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
it would be prudent to get the state of tune checked at least, if your using the maf then its present state shouldnt be to bad as it would not be a mafless tune if it has one.depending where you are id go to either hi-torque down the coast or powertorque in brisbane. both are excellent shops and will happily help you. (from my experiance anyway). im not a big fan of CAI engine bay type intakes so cant really comment on any benefit going mafless with the airhammer set up. my choice is the otr set up.

vakaviti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
it would be prudent to get the state of tune checked at least, if your using the maf then its present state shouldnt be to bad as it would not be a mafless tune if it has one.depending where you are id go to either hi-torque down the coast or powertorque in brisbane. both are excellent shops and will happily help you. (from my experiance anyway). im not a big fan of CAI engine bay type intakes so cant really comment on any benefit going mafless with the airhammer set up. my choice is the otr set up.

Cheers for the info. Ive booked it in at hi-torque for next week so will see how she goes there. Thanks for all the help guys.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It was tuned previously when he put all the mods on and he pulled the exhaust off but left the headers and cats for me. I have kept the MAF and went with a airhammer CAI but the previous owner had an OTR.

So a tune will be on the cards no doubt then???

Also can you get MAFless tunes using airhammer CAI?

cheers

Did it come with an otr and you took it off to put the cai on?

vakaviti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Did it come with an otr and you took it off to put the cai on?

Nah mate when i bought it off him he took the OTR and exhaust.

The only thing he left was the headers and cats. The reason i went with the airhammer CAI is because ive heard and seen a few OTRS with leaves and water and gunk collect in them.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Nah mate when i bought it off him he took the OTR and exhaust.

The only thing he left was the headers and cats. The reason i went with the airhammer CAI is because ive heard and seen a few OTRS with leaves and water and gunk collect in them.

ohh ok fair enough, ive got the vcm otr and havnt had any problems water or gunk