Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune Up?

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
I have a 99 VS ecotec with nearly 320,000 K's on it, apart from th leads and plugs I read here this is little can be done by way of tune up?, Is it worth taking to a Holden dealer to get them to put it on the machine to try and make it run a little smoother and to give me a bit better fuel economy?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
"Tune ups" as far as i know have not existed since carburettors went out 20 years ago in the late 80' early 90's.

So basically what you have done is all you can really do. Unless you wanna maybe hook your car up to your laptop and read all the sensor values to make sure they havnt drifted at all.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Hi - Injectors can be cleaned on or off car - (on car can help with knocking a bit of carbon off the backs of the inlet valves sometimes) computer can be checked for errors - oxygen sensors can be replaced if they have not been done in the last 100,000 k - best thing you can do is get the electrical connectors checked & boots replaced (VL's were bad for this) have dilectric grease put in every connection. Oxygen sensors used to have an earth problem & there was an upgrade for this - throttle body can be cleaned. You could buy an aftermarket memcal for a bit more go - other than that not much you can do...whack a can of redex top end lube in the tank maybe - a couple of litres of diesel in the tank works just as well though & cheaper - some methylated spirits in the fuel tank to remove water or use some e10 occasionally does the same thing.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I have a 99 VS ecotec with nearly 320,000 K's on it, apart from th leads and plugs I read here this is little can be done by way of tune up?, Is it worth taking to a Holden dealer to get them to put it on the machine to try and make it run a little smoother and to give me a bit better fuel economy?

I'd leave is as it is...don't go looking for trouble 'cause you're sure to find it. If you take it to Holdens, just for them to plug it into their machine will cost the same as 2 full tanks of fuel....and if they find something that 'may' need attention, then count of paying at least 10 tankfuls. After all the 'tuning' you may get another km per litre meaning you must keep the car for the next 5 years to recoup the cost of putting it on the machine.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if you fill in your details so we know where your located might help to, some helpful people on this forum, some with expensive tools ;)