Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning in a remote for a vn

Leeroy1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
I recently bought a pre programmed remote for my vn Calais but I can't get it to work. I was told that I might need to tune the signal. How do I go about doing this and where can I get a tuning screwdriver from?
Thanks

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
pics of the remote? factory remote? year vn calais? far as i know they have to be programmed not tuned in with a screwdriver...

Leeroy1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
I bought the remote from cobra who is the alarm manufacturer for the vn. They programmed it based on the security codes for my car. They are the ones that told me it needed to be tuned. I'm just not sure how to do that.

It's not an original remote and it's an 88 Calais

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Of course it's possible that the anti-theft module has been replaced at some point on a 25 year old car and the alarm code no longer matches the module...

Assuming that's not the case, if you open the remote case, with the remote held as you would to operate it, you will be able to see a potentiometer with a slot for a screwdriver on the front right of the remote. That's the tuning adjustment. You can use anything that doesn't conduct electricity to turn that pot (improvise) or turn and remove the screwdriver each time after an incremental adjustment before testing. The technique is to start at one end of the adjustment range and sweep across to the other end, operating the remote while observing the actuation (or not) of the anti-theft. The aim is to find where in the adjustment range the remote works and works best (maximum range).

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Small variable capacitor inside the remote is the tuning pot, it tunes the frequency to match the module and be able to send the correct signal.

Requires a small flat blade screw driver, cannot be metal or ferrous of any description as this'll interfere with the capacitance and make it impossible to get it tuned (it'll start working and transmit to the car but the frequency will change when the screw driver is no longer touching the pot).

Any small plastic screw driver will do the job, should be able to find them at places like dse or jaycar etc etc. (usually used for rf tuning but everything these days is digital so might take some searching)

Leeroy1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Cool thanks for that. Just didn't want to play around with the internals of the remote without being sure.