Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning ported enclosures

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Just a simple question, does lengthening the port(s) lower the dominant frequency of the enclosure? I got a ported enclosure from Jaycar a while back for my 10" sub and I've got the two ports sitting at the shortest length. It sounds alright and I probably have no need to fiddle but I think it might be worth having a look to see if I can tune it to make it sound *perfect*.

Any tips?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Ported enclosures should be tuned with enclosure design software before construction, but since you already have the enclosure built, you can lengthen the port to lower the tuning frequency.

Download WinISD Pro and put the sub and box specs in then adjust the port lengthm box volume, etc to see what the changes make to the boxes frequency response.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I ended up making the ports their maximum lengths (which is the same obviously) and it's slightly lowered the tuning frequency. Has made my sub a tiny bit punchier, along with setting the head unit to send it 'reverse' signals instead of 'normal' ? I'm guessing this is something to do with how the is mounted, like for band-pass enclosures and stuff? It sounds better even though the sub is facing outwards as would be normally expected!

V

V6BEAST

u asked if the length of the port has an effect on the overall sound, well I
b-leve that it dose, this is the easyst way I can discribe it, grab a straw from a thick shake and a straw from a std milk shake flatten the ends of each one and cut a point at the very end of each one, cutting towards the centre. now blow thrun the straw with the point in ur mouth u should get a buzzing sound the thick shake has a lower tone b-cause its diameter is larger than the std milk shake one. now dose length matter... while creating the buzzing sound chop off an inch at a time moving from futher away from ur mouth up to ur lips the tone will increase in pitch. i hope u still needed help and i did that...?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I didn't ask if it affects the overall sound, I asked if it LOWERS the dominant frequency :p. But thanks for your help, it's all sorted now, and I used to do that thing with straws when I was in kindergarten :p

V

V6BEAST

:thumbsup: no probs, but I have found that even simple things r confusing for simple people so i x plain them in such a way from the start:bang:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I hear you! Haha yeah I fix computers for a living... It's amazing how the existance of a computer can completely rob a perfectly good human being of any common sense or intelligence.