Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning questions!! Adjustable Cam Gear, Aftermarket Cam, Custom Fuel Rail, All 4 RB30

Kermit (The Frog)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Many Cars
Hi people, new to the site here so hello to all..!:)

I have some questions for the above items as stated & really hope someone can help me out. 1st of all, i just bought a 'Crow Cam' for my VLT (Street / Strip grind / Hi boost) & i have been informed that i have to get my rockers shaved or something like that for the cam! This is normal with RB30's apparently i hear, true?? If this is the case, does anybody know where i can get this & how much is it? Cheers

2ndly, i'm having troubles finding a Cam Gear (Adjustable Vernier) to suit at an affordable price... Rocket Industries wanted $315 plus GST, ouch... I usually get a pair for that!!

And 3rdly, i want to get a new Custom Fuel Rail but to suit the original 'Tail Style' injectors not the Bosch Rail style like most..! This is because i already have bigger Tail end injectors in there & i don't want to change them now as they're a great size for my application! So where can i get one of these??

I do have some more questions but this will do for now i guess, so all your help is much appreciated... Really!!;)

I'm in the middle of an up-grade so this stuff is required to complete, thanks guys... Cheers again.

Matt

blownba

Reaction score
I think they are talking about your lifters????
If you are not using new lifters you will need the bottom of your ones radius ground so the new cam can run in correctly, run the old ones and bye, bye new cam. Rockers mey need the tips ground if they are worn but I haven't heard of them being ground for clearances or anything like that on that engine.
I get mine done at Wade cams in Oakleigh. they will be about $70 for radius grind lifetr bottoms and rocker arm tips.
The only way I can think of doing a custom for that style injector is to by some extruded fuel rail then measure it up, machine the O-ring groves in the ends for some fittings (I use anodized O-ringed ends) or you can just tap the ends to accept screw in fittings and then the only way I can think of getting it to work on VL injectors is to drill into the bottom of the rail and tap threads in the holes to accept 8mm fuel barb fittings and then mount the original injector hose onto the fittings and then make up mountings for the rail.
If you find good stainless or anodized fuel barbs (speed pro make anodized barbs in 8mm with a 1/8" BSP thread on em that would look good)
I have made heaps of custom rails but never for a VL type injector with the hoses.
But a length of fuel rail extrusion and then fittings for the end (good anodized 1/2" Earl's O-ringed fittings) will cost about $180. Then if you don't have a good mill you would have to pay for machining the rail ends to accept the o-rings and threads.
Speak to a HP injection shop and they will steer you in the right direction.

VitalStatistic63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo, VS Exec Wagon
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I thought it fits the topic.

I want to know if the stock VLT ECU will automatically handle larger injectors.

I had a little mishap with my VLT last weekend and now have my injectors and fuel rail out. The injectors look in pretty poor condition and I seem to have four NA ones and two Turbo ones. I would like to replace them all but the proper turbo ones seem pretty few and far between on eBay and Holden no longer have them, and when they did they were prohibitively expensive. Repco look to be the only real option at this point if I want to stay original.

The alternative is a new fuel rail from eBay that supports the newer style 'O' ring injectors along with a new fuel regulator. This seems a good option and allows for future upgrades. Does anyone have any suggestions for injector capacity?

I have also had a T3/T4 turbo for a while that looks to be a straight bolt in replacement so I might fit that while I'm this far in anyway. Larger injectors will help with that too, but I may not have time to do the turbo now. I want the car ready for the NSW All Holden Day in about 3 weeks.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You will need to adjust the tune (with romeditor or such) for large injectors and you will need to have it on a air fuel gauge to figure it out just right

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Hi people, new to the site here so hello to all..!:)

I have some questions for the above items as stated & really hope someone can help me out. 1st of all, i just bought a 'Crow Cam' for my VLT (Street / Strip grind / Hi boost) & i have been informed that i have to get my rockers shaved or something like that for the cam! This is normal with RB30's apparently i hear, true?? If this is the case, does anybody know where i can get this & how much is it? Cheers

depends on the cam you got. if it's a regrind, you need to shave material off the lifter housings that reflects the amount that has been taken off the cam. - this is so that the top of the lifter always stays a sufficient amount above the surface of the lifter block so you don't smash a rocker into it. - in terms of cost, you should expect change in note form out of 100 bux.

2ndly, i'm having troubles finding a Cam Gear (Adjustable Vernier) to suit at an affordable price... Rocket Industries wanted $315 plus GST, ouch... I usually get a pair for that!!

eBay is your friend. - the twin cam rb head cam gears are a lot more common and hence, cheaper. - nothing wrong with a 2nd hand one if you can find one :)

And 3rdly, i want to get a new Custom Fuel Rail but to suit the original 'Tail Style' injectors not the Bosch Rail style like most..! This is because i already have bigger Tail end injectors in there & i don't want to change them now as they're a great size for my application! So where can i get one of these??
Matt

why do you want a custom fuel rail, when your injectors are to suit the same rail that you have now? - stock rail has been proven to be capable of delivering enough fuel for some serious power :)