Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Hey All
Juz putting the finishing touches on the VR now!
When i start the car, it produces a cloud of black smoke and i can smell the petrol!
Now im guessing that the car is running rich?
How do i lean it off a little?
Another thing is when i go 2 start it sometimes (i dont have my foot on the accelerator) it starts but then stalls almost straight after n i have 2 wait for a new load of juice 2 be pumped before i can try again without the starter squealing!
I was thinking it maybe the fuel injectors need a good clean?
Might take them all out and take them 2 be ultrasonically cleaned.
Anyone got any thoughts on these matters?
Cheers Guys!

P

portercg

Sounds like the go to have those little guys looked over. make sure the company you pick can check the solenoid action of the injectors as well.

G

D

death-from-above

Maybe try an injector cleaner first, they are only 8 bucks and just go into your petrol tank. If it doesnt work its only $8, I put one in my car the other day because i mainly run it on gas and didnt want the injectors to clog whilst Im not using them.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
you say it stalls and you can smell fuel have you checked your fuel lines for leaks .

chrisrevv

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with my VR, I thought the same and put a new set of group a injectors in, made not much diff and then found out it was the fuel pressure reg!

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
definately sounds like fuel pressure problem
fergi

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yeh agree as well, also change your fuel filter, that definately made a noticable difference on my car, who knows when it was changed last

With a new filter & spark plugs my average fuel use went from 15.6l/100km to about high 13 -14 ish.

THis is data from my trip computer.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Alls signs point to the pressure regulator! Just went over to a mates place (hes a mechanic) and he seemed to think the same thing, that its not holding pressure, n thats why is prooving hard to start!
Also brought a K&N panel filter 2day 2