Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo 700...

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
hi all im thinking of going v8 but not sure what to put behind it the main prob is i cant drive manual...i know i know anyway i have two 4 speeds just sitting in garage on from vr not really going to be to helpful without computer (am i right?) and the other is from vn, not sure il need the computer with the vn coz i was told that is a drive and overdrive box, i have been told about adaptor plate are ok but its better to get the block drilled for the holes? im stuck on that one? my family think im stupid for wanting a v8 they think i need a little fart box...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The big thing that will define what box you use, is which V8 you use.

304, 308, 253? Injected or carb? Out of what model? :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
As morton said depends on what engine and hence what pattern block it is.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
as far as im aware, drilling holes isnt an option as the biggest problem with fitting a turbo trans to trimatic block is the crank is different.

to add to this guys question though, i have a turbo pattern block sitting around that i wanna build 355 with, is it possible to fit a late model turbo trans to it? how do you go about making the speedo work?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
ari666 i hope u were not refuring me to a guy? as im a she lol,i was thinking of going 253 with carbbie, i have most if not almost all of the item needed its only sump and engine mounts i think that i need, i just dont know if it would be better to go injection, any help on what size i should go? would be great i say bigger the better, louder the better also (motor wise). or should i just sick to stock 253 just alittle tweeking here or there with the trimatic(thanks to whom refreshed my memory with whats is called). if i go that way i will need a trannie then. what to do?

bennyluvsholdens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Oh please stick to the carby (4 barrel). You will get the raw sound of an old school v8, and if tweaked right will perform as well if not better than injection. Sure you will use more fuel but again depends how you tune it. There is nothing wrong with a 253 either, they are a tuff engine, and will push a VB quite well. The bigger the engine the more things seem to break i found and you will have to look at your diff as well. Selecting the right stall on torque converter will make a big difference to performance but you can't do that till you know the specs of your engine. I haven't had much to with transplanting 700 trannies though but if the box is not electronic you should be right, apart from what has already been posted.