Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo and fuel consumption for a commy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a thought about installlin a turbo in the future for the one reason being.... A blow of valve with that nuts sound, now, as I want the noise I need a turbo.

I have a VR Commy V6 ecotec....:thumbsup:

Please don't tell me it aint worth it :lol: I don't care, I want the noise!:dance: :bang:

I heard from places that a turbo increases fuel consump and other places that it deacreases fuel consump.., So which one is true???

Also, is there a specific part of a turbo that I should look out for to get the most wild sound from a BOV?

BTW, anyone know any good sites in aussie adeliaide that have commy upgrades? cheers all and greatly appreciated.:)

(What price range am I lookin to not get a screwy turbo that needs heaps of maintanace?)

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
fuel economy is as good as you drive take it easy its as good as if not better than std but floor it its blown out the window.as far as sound as long as your blow valve is between the turbo and t/body you will get your sound.you can pay anywere between 3500 to 10000 for turbo setup or pick up s/h setup round 1000 dollars so depends on your budget

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
well u can now get bov's that u dont need a turbo to operate.
or u could get a airhorn kit and hook it up to a turbo bov
and as for the fuel consuption depends on the turbo, if the turbo spools at 2500 u will use more fuel but have ur power quicker if the turbo spools at 4000 u will use the normal amount of fuel as u usaly use but the turbo will almost be usless coz our commys only rev to 5500 with out head work

Reaction score
Where can I find me one of these non turbo BOV's and how do they work, do I need any special equipment?

Are there any good ausie sites out there 4 this sorta stuff? And ebay is a bad idea, right?

And if I get a second hand one, how do I know I'm not getting screwed and that it will need constant maintanace?

Reaction score
BTW, the blowoff that I'm thinkin of has like a cst-cst-cst-cst with really short pauses inbetween each 'cst' sorta sound... That's a blowoff right? SOz, I'm a dumb s**t when it comes to this.

Reaction score
Oh cmo, wat is this???? Please help afella in need, don leave him 4 dead, this is like such a higly rated forum! c'mon

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
A non turbo bov is, well, just plain idiotic.

A bov releases the pressure from your intake when the throttle is lifted off, this then stops the turbo compressor blades from bending and damaging your turbo. It is a functioning part of a turbocharged system and if that is the only reason you want to turbo your car then you sir, have issues.

Steve.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
i agree it is a cool sound but your gonna love it if you get one in when you accelerate... when it hits boost you'll just go WEEEEEEEEEEE!!! the blow off your talking about is a sequential BOV correct? with the "cst-cst-cst-cst" sound you speak of. and for a history lesson i heard somewhere the first porche turbos didnt have a BOV?!? pedal got stuck to the floor on boost and you just had to break something fierce to bring the speed back down.... heard it somewhere dont shoot the messanger its probably wrong

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i know i sound like a party pooper but in adelaide its illegal to have a loud bov and from what u are saying u want it to be pretty loud so u might want to take that into consideration before u put it in and get defected the first night u take it 4 a drive.

but u may be lucky i have only been pulled over once since getting my license ( 3 years ago ) and that was only a breatho

sik_dogg_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Auto
i've seen an item on ebay that bolts into your exhaust system, that claims to make your car sound like a turbo. apparently it has something to do with the exhaust back pressure produced while you rev up and when the pressure ceases, it "BLOWS OFF" giving you that BOV type sound. i was thinking of buying one to try it out after i finish my manual conversion. it only costs like 40 bucks or something!!!