Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo or supercharge my 355?

5.0L VS Ute

355 Vh
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 5.8L Vh
Hey, i got a vh 355 stroker. i was thinking of running a blow through supercharger setup for my carby engine, but then i got to thinking about running a couple of turbos or even just one gd sized one. Does any1 kno what type of turbo would be suitable for a carb engine? what is needed in the way of piping etc, i kno that an intercooler isnt needed with carb engines, or is a turbo setup diff to a supercharger setup in terms of intercoolers etc? and what sort of power gains a typical turbo would give at a certain psi?

cheers for the help

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
depends where you want your power. for torque in the low rev range, go a roots supercharger. for high end power, go for a turbo. do you want single or one turbo? what compression does the 355 have?

5.0L VS Ute

355 Vh
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 5.8L Vh
yea not sure what compression the vh is running, i bought the car not long ago and it was already stroked. Has great low down torque so i dunno if that would say anything bout the compression or just the fact it has a bigger stroke. the thing is, its hard 2 get a complete setup for a carb engine, so i am still not sure which way would be best 2 go. love the sound of the supercharger but think the top end speed of the turbo would be the go. what turbo u reckon would go hard? i have been lookin at some garret t88 turbos which are nice and big. is this too over the top?

cheers

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
how hard is it to fit a 6/71 to these engines? although that wouldnt be legal at all, not that any boost is on these engines, but the charger would stick out of the bonnet

5.0L VS Ute

355 Vh
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 5.8L Vh
the 6/71 is for efi heads isnt it????? if not then that would be sweet, i have always like the idea of a charger lol..........yea i wanna stay under the bonnet, SA laws r fair homo

Resha

Reaction score
go the supercharger mate ya cant beat a charged 355:yeah:

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
problem with turbo-ing a 355 is the way the 2 make power. A stroker develops huge power down low. But due to the large stroke of the engine, they are not fantastic for high revs. A turbo, develops high end power. You may think that the combination of the 2 will give you good power delivery through the rev range, but you risk blowing the engine, especially if it is running High Compression

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
depends what turbo setup you run. go for smaller twin turbos and theyll hit boost earlier