Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo or supercharger?

turbo or super charger??

• turbo

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • super charger

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah of course.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The Toyota blower will make at 6 psi all the way to 5500 rpm, I have several dyno charts here showing that and they are all over the forums. But I'd still go turbo as they heat up the air less and it's just a better thing

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Most people I've spoken too about the blower said they run out of efficiency around 3 thousand revs in 3rd. And with more capacity in the 3.8 you'd expect even less.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
crs blower is more than happy to make 6psi boost all the way through the rev range.

6psi pulley on crs blower with a stocko v6 = about the same speed as an r33 gts-t.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Is this beyond 2nd gear, with a boost gauge/ or dyno readout to prove this?

I just don't see how that little blower can keep up enough puff.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yeah i got a dyno readout somewhere, 4th gear 1:1.. 143.3 rwkw and 6-7psi boost all the way through the rev range, will post up shortly.

power curve stops increasing at about 4,000rpm, (where boost skyrockets), but this was because of the valves being blown open, due to crapped valve springs.

that 'little' blower is 85 cubic inches positive displacement, compared to the 'perfectly sized' eaton M90 used on the l67 motor, which is 90 cubic inches, hardly a huge size difference...

look around the forums for IBLOWN's car, ran a 12.9 at over 100mph with one of these chargers @ 9psi.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well there you go, I'm going to have to investigate these VL conversions again and see why everyone was running out of puff. Cheers.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
i'd definately stick with the turbo on a vl! cheaper and significantly more cost effective!

i think the problem is that these blowers quickly become inefficient because of the amount of heat they produce when spinning real quick and producing decent boost (9psi..)

IBLOWN was saying that the only way he could get 9psi resonably safely out of these blowers was to run a cooler, which would give the hot air a place to go and therefore bring down the temp of the blower.

S

scared_

my plan is to buy another engin stroke it out to 4.2 l the change the pully of the castlemain sc to put out about 6 lb boost.... still trying to work out what im going to do which is the point of this threds. so far im thinking turbo. but cant fund a turbo kit or any prices... any suggestion???